GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   70Turbobug´s 2 liter turbo (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10247)

70Turbobug August 10th 2010 04:58

Quote:

If I understand correctly, you measured the surface of each spigot hole to be flat and it was not.
Thats important of course, if not alone for sealing, but you still don't know if the distance from the crank centerline is equal for all cylinders right? Or did I miss s/th in your descirption?
Exactly.It´s something I normally would not have measured,but the "groove" caused by the cylinders had me thinking something wasn´t right.As far as the centerline goes you´re right,Wally.I think to measure that you would need a fixture of somekind that would allow you to measure the height from the spigot to the mainbearing or the fixture acting as a dummy crank.I don´t know really if that´s the way to do it,but might be a possibility.This would only work if the bearing saddles are also straight and not "crushed".The case had already been line bored 0.50mm over.

Quote:

Good to hear you're almost ready to build Mark.

Are you doing anything special to the inside of the case as far as smoothing any sharp edges ?
Hi Sandeep,Thanks! Yes, now since the case is beeing milled anyways,I will be smoothing the edges behind the spigots aswell.I may be cutting a hole/slot behind the #2 cylinder spigot for better case ventilation just like my 3 liter case has.Glad to hear you´re almost ready to assemble aswell.Then you will have to move to Germany so we can chase Wally around the track!:lmao:

Wally August 10th 2010 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70Turbobug (Post 77273)
Then you will have to move to Germany so we can chase Wally around the track!:lmao:

:lmao: Thats some funny sh*t right there! :D

70Turbobug August 12th 2010 04:46

2 Attachment(s)
I weighed the valves yesterday.The exhaust valves weigh 90 grams and the intakes weigh 92 grams.

Wally August 12th 2010 13:36

Thats pretty good!
My 40mm non-hollow 8mm exhaust valves are 93 gramms and intakes I can't remember...:o

70Turbobug August 14th 2010 07:18

It´s an average weight for that size valve,so I´m happy.Personally,I prefer a material that is "bullet proof" and can withstand extreme temps rather than a light valve of maybe lesser quality.There´s a spring for everything nowadays.I don´t think I would notice the difference in acceleration or perhaps wear if the valve was 10 or 20 grams lighter.I would rather save weight elsewhere like on the rods and pistons.

70Turbobug February 23rd 2011 13:02

Hi everybody,

I´ve got good news and I´ve got bad news.The bad news is that the 2 liter case has several issues.It is all repairable,but it means additional work in a case that I´m no longer confident with for this project.I won´t go into detail,because I´m not the type of guy to slam somebody over the internet ( it's not Remmele btw).The matter is beeing resolved and there are no hard feelings.

The good news is I have a case that is worthy to use.I will be using my case that is set up for a 103x88 T4. I will still retain the 71mm crank and stock rods and the webcam 163,parkerized lifters from Jake Raby and the turbo will also stay the same.Changes are 102mm Deutz tractor cylinders and JE pistons.The Deutz cylinders require a lot of machining to fit,but that has already been taken care of.They should come in sometime next week - hopefully.The only thing left to do on the cylinders is,setting up the deckheight.I´ll post pics of the cylinders as soon as they come in.

70Turbobug March 9th 2011 05:39

5 Attachment(s)
The long awaited package has finally arrived! The cylinders are here! Each cylinder is milled for it´s respective cylinder position.The #1 cylinder is milled differently than the # 4 cylinder etc. This is due to the fin size and the type cylinder spacing and so the pushrod tubes fit.
I will still have to mill the cylinders to stock length.The original length is 102,5mm and I will shorten them to 91,4mm.The bore of the this model Deutz cylinder is 101,65mm.This means that a SBC piston can be used.For that I would have to modify my rods which costs more time and money.So...different than originally planned I will be following Wally´s advice and also have the cylinders bored out to 103mm and use the JE 103x71 pistons with the 24mm pin.Together with the copper head gasket from aircooled.net I´ll have a deck of -2,96mm and a 8.33:1 CR.This is the easiest way and will save me further machining and having to mill more than 2 cooling fins from the cylinders.

Wally March 9th 2011 12:07

Very nicely done!
So these will still have to be shortenend and bored right?
With 2366cc you won't ever need more displacement if you turbo it efficiently :-)

70Turbobug March 10th 2011 06:05

Thanks Wally! Yes, the cylinders still have to be shortened and bored.You´re right about the displacement also,I will never need to go any higher.Right now, I have a GT3071R .63 turbine and .50 A/R.That might be a bit too small eventually,but for starters it will do fine until I get comfortable with tuning properly.I´m undecided on which Engine Management System to get.Since the prices are all about the same and they all have pretty much the same features doesn´t make it any easier.So it boils down to how user freindly they are.I´m thinking either DTA,KMS or Haltech...

Wally March 10th 2011 08:03

I'am biassed just like Armin, so I won't comment on that ;-)

70Turbobug March 10th 2011 10:32

LOL...can't imagine why...
I'm leaning towards the KMS because support would be fairly near and the dealer is also an excellent tuner, which would really help me understanding how to tune an efi much better and faster.

Wally March 10th 2011 16:35

You know KMS is a dutch system right? :rolleyes:

70Turbobug March 11th 2011 04:39

Yes, I do. :D I´ve heard a lot of good things about the system. There´s a dealer near Frankfurt that works very intensively with KMS.He´s the one that set up Jürgen´s V8 twin turbo bug and the tiptronic trans for it.

Bruce. March 11th 2011 09:16

The deutz cylinders look interesting. couple of Qs.

Are you using genuine parts or one of the many copies?
The cylinders are Ali, yes? Are they coated?

I thought that Ali pistons and cylinders don't go well together hence the usual plating options. I notice the Deutz pistons have a graphite coating to reduce wear.

Or are you planning to get the cylinders plated after the machining is finished?

70Turbobug March 11th 2011 09:48

Hi Bruce - These are original Deutz cylinders. They are cast iron not aluminum.IIRC they are also nitrided but I can't confirm that. After the cylinders have been bored I may have them nitrided.Also I will be using JE pistons.