GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Has anyone thought of this? (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3309)

hybrid_john November 16th 2003 02:21

Has anyone thought of this?

Has anybody in the germalook world thought about grafting 2003 Porsche 993 Litronic head lights( I believe that they will fit with medium fender modification), instead of just using the original to 356,944,911,etc. round head light?

I mean, every other part of the Porsche is used, why not the cosmetics(other than wings) as well?...

"I want some replys on this one!"

It would be nice for some suggestions and opinions...this thought has been crossing my mind ever since I found some on ebay.

vujade November 16th 2003 11:44

First off do you mean 996 or 993 because there were no 2003 993's made.

If you meant 993, then there is a guy in North Carlona that has grafted 993 headlights into his beetle. & I have also seen one guy in Europe that has grafted them into a ghia too.

996 headlights seem like they would be much mmuch harder, if at all possible.

boygenius November 16th 2003 12:06

I thought about it untill I asked my friend who does body work how much money to make them fit. He just started laughing at me.....

hybrid_john November 17th 2003 04:01

No I was thinking of a pair of 2003 996 Litronic Head lights, but put down 993 instead, but there where a pair that I thought about purchasing their for a while, but I didn't want to fork over $2200 for em. maybe I'll consider it in the future.

boygenius November 17th 2003 10:10

I have seen a set of boxster headlights sell for $400 to $500 dollars on e-bay. Almost the same as 911 headlights but a heck of a lot cheaper.:)

hybrid_john November 17th 2003 21:26

I've never seen 993 headlights on a beetle before and wanted to do it for myself but Ive moved on and decided MINI ...
:yummy: Its an idea

boygenius November 18th 2003 00:05

Do you mean mini cooper headlights? Hmmmm. It just might work...:)

hybrid_john November 20th 2003 01:39

Yeah It just might... its an idea that I've never even heard of let alone see! So I'll continue doing my research on the head light conversion for 2003 MINI cooper head lights.... they look awsome to me, and the thought of them on my Beetle....:D !!!!!

samcat November 20th 2003 06:15

Quote:

Originally posted by hybrid_john
Yeah It just might... its an idea that I've never even heard of let alone see! So I'll continue doing my research on the head light conversion for 2003 MINI cooper head lights.... they look awsome to me, and the thought of them on my Beetle....:D !!!!!
Been done a while ago by a geezer in the UK :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...9/fa837523.jpg

LOTS of work.

Cya,
Sam C

hybrid_john November 20th 2003 22:13

Gee-wiz man...
Is there anything that hasn't been done already?
I want to do something no-one else has done before!!

Any suggestions?

Anybody got any ideas that might be unique any realllllllly unusual, I want to be the first to do it!!

I'll try anything....:befuddled
:help:

Pillow November 20th 2003 22:33

>Is there anything that hasn't been done already?<

No... Most everything I can think of has been done before. Which is cool, but new and fresh ideas are hard to come by. Granted just because one thing or another has been done does not mean a fresh presentation cannot be put together that is just as stelar or more so than an orignal.

I kind of got mad at BugJam/ Bulli Brigade that a few busses were rolling what I wanted to do already. Kind of kills the fresh and new idea! :(

hybrid_john November 20th 2003 22:48

Yeah it relly does kill the new fresh feel to it doesn't it!

But I'm really brain-storming over here and should eventually come up with something!
What about Mercedes C-class head lights?
could be worth it!:)

LOAF November 20th 2003 23:08

How about subaru wrx "bug lights" as they are refered to..

It is different... I could take picture if anyone is interested... On similar forums they go for about 150-200..

Just a thought.. At least they both are flat four.. While I am on the WRX Bandwagon.. They make variations of those lights..as in JDM and EDM (Jap and European models) also the WRX Prodrive variants.. But IMHO not a good look..

ALex

hybrid_john November 20th 2003 23:15

I didnt even concider WRX head lights, I will deffinatly look into it...

btw, what did you mean "not a good look" ?

John

boygenius November 20th 2003 23:19

Someone already did the mercedes lights in a kahrman ghia.:( Got beat to it again...

hybrid_john November 20th 2003 23:29

What about head lights from an AmTrak:silly: or maybe a plain or jet or something

I need ideas...BADLY!:reallysad

And to any one who can help me:haveadrin

samcat November 21st 2003 05:46

Do the new mini headlights.

I have only seen it once, thats on a NON german look bug.

Do it on a german looker and it will look totally different :D

Just go for it.

Cya,
Sam C

trevorbrady November 21st 2003 08:48

by Pillow
Quote:

Most everything I can think of has been done before
That's where innovation is born! You're supposed to think harder or develop/evolve/adapt other ideas... :D

what about VW Polo headlamps or Lupo? Similar in size and shape to sloping beetle headlamps. Could be made to fit.
Toyota Corollas have a round-ish headlamp similar to the Subaru bug-eye one, both of which could be grafted into a bug front wing if there is enough room for the headlamp "bucket" in terms of wheel clearance.
Front aprons/spoilers from modern cars could be adapted to fit under a bug bumper.
REAR apron/air diffuser under the back bumper?
A rear windscreen that lifts up on gas lifters like a mid '90s Honda civic split tailgate?

I don't know how practicable these ideas are, but someone with the time might like to try!!

hybrid_john November 22nd 2003 04:30

Sam:
You know what? You're right the new mini head lights would look incredible on a GL, espescially when you got the best canvas in the world to beautify, and we all have them, but I've got the advantage, mine is still blank( sorta )
So thank you sam for telling me how it is and to "just go for it"!

I WILL ! ! ! !:D

Wesayso November 24th 2003 07:02

http://www.design911.co.uk/index.htm

http://www.design911.co.uk/images/99663116311.jpg

ID9963116311 996 & BOXSTER CLEAR HEADLAMP -L EACH £ 289.00p + VAT

ID9963116411 996 & BOXSTER CLEAR HEADLAMP -R EACH £ 289.00p + VAT

http://www.design911.co.uk/usa/index.htm

ID9963116311 996 & BOXSTER CLEAR HEADLAMP -L EACH US$ 462.40

ID9963116411 996 & BOXSTER CLEAR HEADLAMP -R EACH US$ 462.40

That's new and a long way from $2200,- right?

{EDIT} Thinking about it while looking at the Carrera GT one should take these lights and put them in a 914 with modified front fenders to house them :rolleyes: {/EDIT}

LOAF November 24th 2003 10:41

Hybrid,

The Prodrive WRC may not suit everyones tasks.. On a WRX people go both ways.. Definitely different.. Here is a link

Alex

http://www.prodrive.com/defaultflash.asp?M=5

Called twin Light Conversion go thru Products/Impreza/lights

Enjoy

Panelfantastic November 24th 2003 11:53

LOAF! That is smokin'!
Those would be soooo sweet in my bus.
Now, tell everybody what they cost. :eek:

That's the biggest factor in any of these ideas, those new headlight designs are crazy expensive. My buddy is on the mini quest too and just priced a left assembly (all he could find) out of salvage was $400. Plus if you're not an ace fabricator and body man, forget it. They gotta work, not just look trick. If you don't pull of the conversion to look stock, you wasted your money.

boygenius November 24th 2003 12:12

Just to throw my two cents in, my friend's dad had 747 landing light on his 67' lotus europa.

vujade November 24th 2003 13:47

i THINK mercedes, mini or porsche headlights will all be good candidates even though they have all been done before. Its not like it has been done to death, so no matter where you go you will probably be the only one with them.

hybrid_john November 25th 2003 03:27

OHHHHH Man!
Those Suby head lights are wicked!
But Panel is right I gotta think about the fabrication ease at the moment...and the cost!:rolleyes:

Alright...I got time on my hands, and four really great ideas to throw around and a lot of planning to do...some times you brain gets sooooooooooo tied up because you can't make up your mind...but I'll do some thinking in the next couple of weeeks and let everyone know what I decide to do...stay tuned!:cool:

genius: that sounds interesting to see, do you have any pics of it?
I'm really curious on how they look!

:haveadrin

boygenius November 25th 2003 20:20

Sorry no pics with the lights. He got in to much trouble and had to take them off. Although it's still a nice car and I want it soooooo bad. It only weighs 1350 lbs......:)

LOAF November 25th 2003 23:55

These are also kinda wicked.. again WRX JDM STI stuff..

Just adding options.. HID, and Projectors..
Enjoy
ALex

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/02WR...ingsystems.htm

hybrid_john November 26th 2003 05:13

genius: its all good here, but I can just imagine how bright the lights would be (they wer originally intendid for the SKY!:silly: )

LOAF: Those lights are all very very nice and.... I really like the WRX ligths, but I found another conversion to think of...

TVR Speed 12 head lights... its an idea and they would be very hard to come by, what do you think? The conversion would probably be the hardest of the the latter but I would go for it... balls -to -the-wall!:D :silly:

John

ricola November 26th 2003 10:28

I'm sure VW Lupo lights would look good and I've never seen them on a bug or anything else for that matter!

http://www.citygatevolkswagen.co.uk/...es/LM52WLP.JPG

Deathbug74 November 26th 2003 11:12

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by trevorbrady
Front aprons/spoilers from modern cars could be adapted to fit under a bug bumper.
like this?

boygenius November 26th 2003 20:10

When you find a set of TVR speed 12 headlights you have to let me know the price for them.:silly:

ricola November 27th 2003 04:45

I'm sure the Speed 12 headlights are just small diameter lights arranged in a cluster. You could very easily do this.

http://www.pistonheads.com/tvr/tvr/i...speed12-06.jpg

Have you seen Marco's bug? He has made contoured pods that sit inside sloping clear lenses that house HID units. Reminds me of a gas mask!

Rich

hybrid_john November 27th 2003 06:50

ricola:those lupo lights might be a nice mod, I'll think about what exactly I will do in the future, right now I have all the time in the world to figure it out (well almost all the time in the world).

genius:if I find out how much they cost I'll let you know;)
Thats if I can find a pair for sale!

John

boygenius November 27th 2003 18:01

Try talking to TVR directly, everybody has a website. You could call but that would be like .35 cents a minute.:)

bc1303s November 28th 2003 01:32

DO you really think the stock lights are that bad :confused: I'd rather spend my $$$ on a HUGE Turbo motor :Dor do we just like blowing money on useless crap Wish I could lol

hybrid_john November 28th 2003 03:09

Yeah I'm blowing money on useless crap, but the thing is I've just begun my project and I want it to be highly modified, tastefully and everything about it has to function flawlesly... I'm glad that you'd rather have a HUGE motor... so will I, but thats were we seperate, I want my car to blow people away with asthetics and when I go FAST it will really make an impression...maybe even inspire some one to get into VW's and/or the German Look!

THATS WHY I "BLOW" MONEY ON "USELESS" STUFF...

BTW: It will take me some time to build the car exactly how I like it!

Hope that clarifies things up for you:D

John

boygenius November 28th 2003 19:59

Build it for show, then build it for go.;)

hybrid_john November 29th 2003 13:21

I like that genius, it sound like you know what I'm talking about...
I forgot to add that I want my car to be carismatic in the VW world, but the downside, it is going to take me sooooooooooooo long to complete my project especially when I figure out what kinda light I'm gonna use for my car, the front air-dam is harder than I though, carbon fiber is a b1T*h to work with and I haven't yet honed my grafting skills yet but for the most part it's all coming along pretty smoothly, the most difficult aspect about my project would be the light, then the hood cowl and ducting:silly: :silly: :silly:

I need a break to get my head in gear again, maybe putting the body back on the car and moving it out side is a good thing, I'm gonna start looking for a storage unit to put the pan in, while I keep the body at home.......

John

boygenius November 29th 2003 17:03

My car will have porsche turbo brakes, wheels, and suspension. It will have widened fenders, an electric rear wing and a full roll cage. All trim will be shaved and there will be carbon fiber everywhere. Sounds like a pretty fast car, Huh. Not really as it will only have 80 to 90 hp for a long while untill I can afford my turbo type 4 motor. But it sure will look fast.:D ;)

Angelo Amato November 29th 2003 21:13

i have ...but you'll have to wait to see...

Quote:

Originally posted by hybrid_john
Gee-wiz man...
Is there anything that hasn't been done already?
I want to do something no-one else has done before!!

Any suggestions?

Anybody got any ideas that might be unique any realllllllly unusual, I want to be the first to do it!!

I'll try anything....:befuddled
:help:

JUST A LITTLE CLUE - IT'S OFF A PORSCHE 993 AND NOT LIGHTS,SEATS, GAUGES,MOTOR !! :silly: :confused: