GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Kafer cup brace (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3351)

craazy Cooter November 21st 2003 22:33

Kafer cup brace

What is the best way to make my own kafer cup brace, assuming I have access to a welder and tube stock? Should I solid weld the frame horns to the shock towers? How should I use heim joints instead of clevis pins? Tell me your Ideas/errors!

Racelook November 22nd 2003 15:09

That's also what i wanted to know :D

judgie November 22nd 2003 16:54

yea i would like to know how others have done this as well.
i was going to try and tie the frame horns and shock towers in to the rear legs of roll cage and also the tosion bar houseing.
any one got any pic,s?
cheers rob

Wesayso November 22nd 2003 19:41

how about this one from 55superbeetle

browsed trough them from this link at TheRaceShop forum

boygenius November 22nd 2003 21:35

Does the CSP kit have a right and left hand thread end joints in the links so you can pre-load the chassis.:confused:

Alex November 22nd 2003 22:14

Quote:

Originally posted by boygenius
Does the CSP kit have a right and left hand thread end joints in the links so you can pre-load the chassis.:confused:
Yes it does.

There are some pics I believe in the gallery of a car with full cage with integrated bracing.

You can also see the Cup Brace (CSP only resales them....the producer is another company) in my tech article on the main page. That should give you some ideas on how to fab your own if you want.

Maybe it would be possible to get a group deal with a vendor if multiple members want to get a certain brace....Cup brace or TGFab or another make.

Alex

boygenius November 22nd 2003 22:51

If we can can get a group deal on a chassis brace I'll take one. I like the cup brace.:D

hybrid_john November 22nd 2003 23:47

I'd be interested in buying a Cup brace, I've always wanted one...

BTW, is there a vendor that can hook us up with a five-bar setup? I really like the way it looks and it should stiffen up the chassis a little more...:)

zydeco November 23rd 2003 01:51

I've been looking for one (either 5bar käfer cup or tgfab) for months....

brian

juse November 24th 2003 07:56

I made mine from 3/8" tubing, 6mm steel plate, 12x1,25 threaded rod and fork ends that are used on pneumatic cylinders.
The setup looks good and strong, I used the CSP brace as a model:
http://www.csp-shop.de/technik/pdf/eng/17704.pdf
Here is an earlier post of bracing:
http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...?threadid=1466
Justin

Alex November 25th 2003 09:46

So far 3 people are interested in the Käfer Cup brace.

If we get 5 I will contact some shops to tryto get a good deal for it next week. A 5 bar setup is available.....but it depends from which shop.

Alex

Sandeep November 25th 2003 10:19

Don't forget that you have to cut the body slightly ('74 standard) if you are installing it (CSP 3-bar brace) with the body on. With a dremel, you can make the cuts look factory.

Also, make sure you have your axles in and the suspension loaded before you weld the links for the down tube from the shock tower to the frame horns.

You can weld in the frame horn link a couple of different ways but I decided to weld my link to the transmission carrier at the rear of the tranny that bolts to the frame horns. This will give me enough room for the suspension to compress while driving and have the axle not rub on the downtube.

Sandeep

Aurumen November 25th 2003 13:53

Sandeep,

Off topic, but got a Dremel question. What kinda bits or discs do you use to cut metal. I can't seem to find any that are worth a darn. Got any tips?

Nick

Sandeep November 25th 2003 23:42

You get the dremel black cutting disks .. 1 1/2" dia, reinforced with fibreglass .. cuts sheetmetal like butter, comes in packs of 10.

Sandeep

Alex November 25th 2003 23:46

Yup,

those carbon disks or whatever they are called are great.....and pricey.

Alex

boygenius November 26th 2003 04:49

The more expensive "cut off wheel" is worth the money since the cheap stone cut off disc's will break very easily.

boygenius December 7th 2003 19:41

Quote:

Originally posted by Alex
So far 3 people are interested in the Käfer Cup brace.

If we get 5 I will contact some shops to tryto get a good deal for it next week. A 5 bar setup is available.....but it depends from which shop.

Alex

Anybody else want a chassis brace? We only need two more people.:D

jrinlv December 8th 2003 00:24

I need one!!!! What are we looking at for a price and time frame?? Let me know I am interested JR

Alex December 8th 2003 10:59

I contacted a shop.

The price will be under 200 Euros for the setup. Not sure on how much under 200Euros. A 5 bar setup will also be an option for extra money. I will get details soon hopefully. The more we get the cheaper it will get too.

boygenius
hybrid_john
zydeco
jrinlv

are interested for now.

You better let me know if you are really interested because I do not want to do the leg work and later nobody buys it. I already have mine so I am doing this to help out.

Alex

boygenius December 8th 2003 13:01

For less than 200 euros I will take one.:D

jrinlv December 8th 2003 19:38

I'm in........ Any pics of a 5 bar brace?? Thanks JR

Alex December 8th 2003 21:12

Look at my tech article on the main page of this site.

http://www.germanlook.com/Html/Tech/Tech05CupBrace.htm

Alex

zen December 8th 2003 22:20

ac.net just got some CSP in. should have mine anyday. not under 200 Euro, but nice. it was a long wait for this batch though. not sure how many he has left.

jrinlv December 8th 2003 22:59

So, it should be under 244 USDs and what should shipping be on something like that? I can't wait......... JR

boygenius December 8th 2003 23:20

200 euros is equal to $245 US dollars. Am I correct?:confused:

Forgot to check post before I posted. /\
| :o

hybrid_john December 9th 2003 01:45

Sweet Alex: I'm deffinately interested in buying a setup, I would really like a 5-bar setup, how much extra is it gonna cost me to get one?

BTW how do I convert euros into US dollars?

John

boygenius December 9th 2003 20:13

I will go with a 5 bar set-up if it is not too much more money. I would pay up to 250 euros for the 5 bar set-up. Otherwise the 3 bar set-up will be fine.:D

zydeco December 11th 2003 07:42

Sorry for not updating for a while - I've been in Germany for the better part of the last two weeks.

I'm on the list for one of AC.nets 5bar Käfer-Cup braces. John mentioned the new shipment to me just after thanksgiving but I haven't been able to follow up with him because of my trip to Germany. So - I'm interested in getting one BUT I will get the 5bar from AC.net if the are indeed in and ready to ship. However, if things are delayed with the AC.net order, then I'll be in on the group buy (assuming the anticipated delivery date is in the near future).

So summary is, count me OUT for now and as soon as I hear from John at AC.net, I'll post an update.

Brian

boygenius December 11th 2003 22:31

I thought aircooled.net only had the 2-bar and 3-bar kafer cup braces. How do you get a 5-bar brace.:confused:

Alex December 12th 2003 13:36

Here are the details:

The 3 bar setup is 150 Euros each if we get a total of 5 orders.
To get the 5 bar setup with hardware it will be an additional 130 Euros.

Those prices are without the German taxes already for customers outside the EU. Shipping will be on top of the price....but should not be too bad when shipped via Economy which takes about 2 weeks from Germany.

Once we have 5 or more people commited and I will give everybody the shop details with phone number so that you can order. They will take VISA.

Alex

boygenius December 12th 2003 20:04

I'm still going to buy one. The three bar set-up is in my budget.:D

hybrid_john December 13th 2003 01:17

Do they take any other type of payment? I don't have a credit-card....I REALLY want the brace but I think that I'll stick with the three-bar setup.
BTW: what are the advantages of the 5-bar setup over the 3-bar?
And (being ignorant again) how do I calculate euros into dollars?

John

boygenius December 13th 2003 02:48

150 euros = $185 dollars. I think. :)

I multiply the euro amount by 1.225 to get the dollar amount.:D

Alex December 13th 2003 09:18

I guess you could send an international money order or wire the money into the shop account.

I would guess that 5 bar setup is even stronger than the 3 bar setup. I am not sure if it is really needed......I just like the looks.

You can go to www.xe.com to calculate how much it is in US funds.

Alex

hybrid_john December 13th 2003 16:01

Thanx you guys, I appreciate the money help:D

genius: you were right on the MONEY! 150 EUR = 184.110 USD
1 EUR = 1.22740 USD

Alex: an international money order would probably be the easiest way to pay for the Kafer brace. If it takes long enough for me to save up around $350 I might, (MIGHT!), buy a 5-bar setup, if not I will go with a 3-bar setup.

Another question: If I buy the 3-bar setup, can I always ad the two extra bars in the future? Or would I have to buy a Kafer brace all over again?

John

njv December 13th 2003 16:45

hi
are these gonna get shipped to idividuals straight out alex? i guess what im angling at here is tha150€ is the cheapest ive seen these even here in germany and iwould be interested if i can be included in the group buy even though i live in germany?

theres a guy porsch to bug sells theys on the net but at slightly more at a gues this is where there comeing from?

Alex December 13th 2003 18:46

njv,

I know Mariano....I got some parts from him.

They will be shipped directly to the individuals......I have nothing to do with the deal except for making the contact with the shop.

I am not sure how it will work with the taxes since you are in Germany.

Alex

craazy Cooter December 14th 2003 01:23

Oh Yeah. I already fabricated my own. 3/4" cromoly tubing, 6 hiem joints (3right 3left thread). 70 inches of tubing and two shock brackets from scratch. about $70.

Pros - Hand built. (i know it was done right)

Cheap

strong

No shipping

Who cares if you have shiny stuff under your car if no one can see it? Mine's black.

hybrid_john December 14th 2003 02:19

Right on cooter, how much doese it weigh in at? Can you post a pic of it, so we can see how it looks?

KUDOS man, KUDOS!

John

juse December 16th 2003 03:06

70$ sounds fine Cooter, as you used heim-ends and chromoly. But mine cost 0$, no shiny bits and painted in black. Looks OK and does the job.
Justin
"Homemade-motorsports"