GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Project Builds (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   '69 / '76 Germanlook Project (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10377)

dub_crazee January 18th 2013 13:47

Just received these in the post :D

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...37448545_n.jpg

retaining the torsion bars for now and running 175lb springs.

Also, after getting abit of clutch slip last time i was giving it the beans, i decided to investigate. Ive narrowed it down to the pressure plate :( that teaches me for not buying a new clutch! Just been to my local supplier who were the cheapest i could find at £290 :(

Well those jobs will keep be busy for a little while! Bring on the spring - i cant wait to get back out on the roads!

Wally January 18th 2013 16:58

Good looking alu-bodied coil-overs!

ricola January 19th 2013 05:41

Yup, good choice :D

dub_crazee January 19th 2013 08:27

Lets hope they ride as good as they look :D
One thing I've noticed is they don't seem to have a method of locking the bottom spring platform. No lock ring or grub screw, which seems a little odd. I went for the narrower spring 1.9" but still do up to 500lb springs which gives me plenty if scope for uniball in the future if I with to do so. Very good service really and were on my door step in under a week. Prices have gone up slightly, these were a shade over £300 to my door but still seem good value for money! Il let you know how I get on

dub_crazee March 22nd 2013 08:21

Thought I'd post a little update!

My hydro clutch went......again!!! So I removed it to find a few small score marks and a trashed seal...nice! So I completely sacked it off and managed to get a clutch cable tube from a 50's chassis a friend was scrapping! I now have a fully operational cable clutch :)

Also I took it to the rolling road as it was a bit rough low down. Went up a size in idle jet size has made so much difference, it's lovely to drive! It also made a very surprising 148bhp at 4800rpm!! Nt bad for a turbo spec lump! Can't wait to get efi and turbo on it!!

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...b.jpg~original

Hopefully il be going to lots of shows this year, I've booked 3 track sessions at apex festival and hoping to go to EBI too

Roll on the summer!!

Wally March 22nd 2013 08:42

Nice dyno result! Matching with the turbogrind's low duration and relatively high lift.
Weel done.

But...shouldn't you be at Volksworld show by now? (that was the plan iirc?)

dub_crazee March 22nd 2013 09:30

Cheers wally, very pleased with the result! Thanks go to rob for assembling the motor!

The bug was on display last yet at the show so didn't put it in this year, don't want to bore people with te same cars every year!!
Looking at our weather forecast I don't even know if il go this year!!

al_kaholik March 22nd 2013 13:09

Not good to hear. But at least it is all now up and running :)

By chance you don't still have the MC mounting plate do you?... I've just bought an MC to go in the tunnel but it might be useful for mocking up a mounting bracket :)

When are FI and a turbo becoming reality?

dub_crazee March 22nd 2013 16:26

Al, unfortunately I am still using the mounting plate as it has the captives in that hold the pedal cluster in place. What mc have you got??

dub_crazee March 22nd 2013 16:28

Oh and hoping that efi and turbo will be next winters project! I know speedshop are halfway through designing their set up but if that's not on sale in time think ilgo the jenvey route

al_kaholik March 22nd 2013 18:39

Its one of these http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/B....750%22_MAK750 3/4" and it'll mount in the tunnel. It looks very similar to a Wilwood kit that is available but I won't know till I get a look.

To be paired at the moment with a CNC slace. I was just after being lazy with some measurements really, fabbing a mount from 3mm plate shouldn't be difficult once Ive got some in there.

I see speedshop have released some more throttle bodies too, though I don't know how recent it is. I'm really impressed with their stuff and its excellent value once the price is factored in, certainly in comparison to Jenvey.

judgie March 23rd 2013 04:29

remember the best way for turbo is a single throttle body, no real need for itb's
Nice numbers on the dyno, always good to see how they perform as until its on the dyno and makeing power its all just theory.

dub_crazee March 24th 2013 06:09

Al that kit looks like a decent alternative and fairly priced too!! I may go back to hydraulic at some point as cable is heavey!! We shall see! Speedshop have just had more throttle bodies made (cast this time) with injector bosses....but that's as much as I know so far! A lot of the stuff is made at a machine shop in hitchin not far from us.

Rob, I gues theory only gets you so far a every engine is different, I am hoping to achieve around the 220 mark with turbo. Point taken about single throttle body! However twins look soooo cool haha. Il start planning my set up after the inner and doing more research I think.

Wally March 24th 2013 06:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_kaholik (Post 85836)
I see speedshop have released some more throttle bodies too, though I don't know how recent it is. I'm really impressed with their stuff and its excellent value once the price is factored in, certainly in comparison to Jenvey.

I was actually more impressed with Speedshop's design then I was with the Jenveys design/quality after several years of N/A and turbo use...

And thats even before price considerations.

So hopefully he will get around making something for us T4 engine users. Fingers crossed.

al_kaholik March 24th 2013 10:48

Interesting stuff Wally - I'm always interested to hear comments like that when everyone else in the world seems to go straight to Jenvey when they need something. I guess they serve to bring FI to those people who have used Webers/Dells all their life.

Dean, I never really realised how heavy cable clutches were till my purchase of the Bora, moved my mum's Polo off the drive and was amazed how light the hydraulics make even a big diesel clutch.