GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Aerodynamics of a bug (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2820)

70Turbobug April 16th 2011 10:19

Interesting Thread! The vw bug has a Cd value of 0,48.A teardrop has 0,05 and an average aircraft wing profile has 0,08.The funny thing is a T2 vw bus has a cd value of 0,44 eventhough it has a larger surface area up front,it is much longer than the bug,which gives it an overall better value.
The bugīs aerodynamics are greatly improved by lowering the vehicle and adding spoilers as everyone knows.However,I havenīt seen any values to compare.
Some of the Käfer Cup bugs and a few of the hillclimb bugs have slots or holes in their fenders and some run shorter rear fenders allowing more air to pass out the back.If your racing,looks arenīt as important as function so I doubt that anyone is really going to adapt that to their street car.

Bruce. April 17th 2011 04:47

I didn't realise a bus has a better cd :)

However cd is ratio thing so a brick has a cd of 1 regardless if it is the size of a Lego block or the size of a house. You multiply the cd and the frontal area to get the drag figure.

aircured April 17th 2011 15:18

Rear Spoiler

1 Attachment(s)
Why don't you get one of these and make a mould of just the part you want.
It tucks under the window rubber.

Xellex April 17th 2011 20:08

I have one of those. I don't think it would help aerodynamically. Do you have a picture of the part that it mounts onto? (the part that actually tucks under the rubber). I'm missing that and it would be nice to see what it looked like :)

Humble April 19th 2011 01:13

I think everyone's seen my aero by now, hard to miss...

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l4...5.jpg~original

Large vents in the front fenders seem to help a bit but I won't know for sure until I take it to a race track. The rear wing is almost necessary above 120, and can be felt as low as 50-60mph. I've also trimmed up the rear fenders to help them air out a bit as well. Currently I'm working on front aero which is not present and the bug understeers as a result. With the airdam and splitter in place the balance should be a lot better and I'll be able to dial in the rear wing properly.

For street use something above the rear window is best. A small strip like carbon joe did but a little bit taller, 2.5"-3" from drip rail to drip rail, would be ideal. Vents in the top of the front fenders might work for the street but I don't think they will be as effective, however they won't ruin the paint on your rear fenders.

70Turbobug April 19th 2011 03:50

A 1302 and 1303 seem to have a different characteristic than an older (pre -67)1200 bug.I rode with Armin Klein in his bug on the Autobahn here in Germany.We were doing 257Km/h (160mph) passing a Porsche Boxster S at full speed.He uses an inductive type digital speedometer.Even it may be 10Km/h off thatīs still pretty quick.I didnīt notice any lifting or instability whatsoever.He has no spoilers whatsoever.He has a Remmele Uni-ball set up in the rear,the front is a standard lowered front beam.Itīs a daily driver that he races regularly.Here are some vids of the car while racing.

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6952465/...zburgring_2009 - open track day training in Salzburg

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/6952429/...g_Classic_2009 - race in Salzburg

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5607224/...e_Leipzig_2008 - Porsche track day in Leipzig

www.turboboxer.de

al_kaholik April 20th 2011 04:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilC (Post 80441)
Hi Gerrelt,

It sounds as though its well proven then.
Please let me know when they become available either here or on my e-mail address - clive.williams@bwdltd.com

Many thanks:cheers:

Clive

And me. here is fine or a pm :) perhaps could combine on the international shipping?

aircured April 20th 2011 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xellex (Post 80463)
I have one of those. I don't think it would help aerodynamically. Do you have a picture of the part that it mounts onto? (the part that actually tucks under the rubber). I'm missing that and it would be nice to see what it looked like :)

Sorry haven't got the spoiler anymore, otherwise I would have taken some more photos for you.
I remember it being small pieces of z shaped metal with a hole drilled in it, then a plastic screw, screwed through the spoiler into the metal hanger, which was wedged under the rear window rubber seal... clear as mud I know

aircured April 20th 2011 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilC (Post 80441)
Hi Gerrelt,

It sounds as though its well proven then.
Please let me know when they become available either here or on my e-mail address - clive.williams@bwdltd.com

Many thanks:cheers:

Clive

And me
Here is ok or pm me
Am also interested in combined international shipping?

Gerrelt April 20th 2011 13:02

I just put you guys on a list, once I finished a couple and know the price, I will inform you.:)

Xellex April 20th 2011 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by aircured (Post 80521)
I remember it being small pieces of z shaped metal with a hole drilled in it, then a plastic screw, screwed through the spoiler into the metal hanger, which was wedged under the rear window rubber seal... clear as mud I know

Thanks, I think I got the picture :) All I seem to be missing is the z-shaped metal pieces. I think I actually have the plastic screws too.

Steve C April 20th 2011 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70Turbobug (Post 80498)
A 1302 and 1303 seem to have a different characteristic than an older (pre -67)1200 bug.

Hi

I owned flat screen bugs for years, Ovals, 40 hp bugs, late standard bugs & 1302s. Until a few years ago I had never owned a 1303 long term.

Seat of pants stuff, but the 1303 with its round front screen does feel much more slippery than a flat screen bug.

Steve

70Turbobug April 21st 2011 05:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve C (Post 80531)
Hi

I owned flat screen bugs for years, Ovals, 40 hp bugs, late standard bugs & 1302s. Until a few years ago I had never owned a 1303 long term.

Seat of pants stuff, but the 1303 with its round front screen does feel much more slippery than a flat screen bug.

Steve

I havenīt been over 100mph in a 1303 yet,I never owned one either,so I lack the comparison. The 1303 does seem much quieter (wind noise) than the standard bugs,so there must be an aerodynamic improvement.Maybe the front of the 1303 has some disadvantage compared to the 1200 due to the round front valance? Technically the 1303 is far better than the standard bug,no question about that.

Steve C April 21st 2011 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70Turbobug (Post 80535)
Technically the 1303 is far better than the standard bug,no question about that.

Lucky you said that here and not The Samba :lmao:

70Turbobug April 22nd 2011 12:30

LOL!!! They will also tell you that the Cal-look rake is the best for aerodynamics!