GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Project Builds (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Oval GL coming together (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6625)

nbturbo October 16th 2005 08:51

Oval GL coming together

5 Attachment(s)
Finally,after about 4 years it's starting to happen.I am running a 2.7lt Type 4 with 48mm Webers (but will be injected B4 it goes on the road) Made a stainless muffler similar to an original with 2x65mm tail pipes out of the original holes.Have IRS'd the pan and modified it to fit an auto trans from a Type 3. Running weld in adjusters up front and 4 wheel discs with 17X7 up front and 17X8 at the back.May be able to fit 18X9's on the back yet.Will see after the rear guards are on. I am using Aero Guards all round ( locally made using the original 6 volt headlights,but use the big tailights)I wanted to fit a Superbug engine cover with the 4 slots, so the engine could get all the air possible,and needed more room for the exhaust,so welded in a late fuel injected rear panel.I have had all new glass for it(except the Oval)with all the side glass made with the tint in the glass and a laminated/tinted front screen.The headlining has been done in an original looking fabric,but is grey in colour.The front buckets came from a Mitsubishi Starion and I am having them and the rear done in black leather.I am doing this one to be a sort of twin to my Turbo NB.Same colours used thru out with seats/trim etc.

nbturbo October 16th 2005 09:04

Some more info

5 Attachment(s)
That speedo is an original European KPH,which I have had modified with a MPH gear set and recalibrated and fitted the small MPH sticker.Wanted to keep the early look speedo,and also have a fuel guage.I cut the sunroof from a rusted out 66 and after 12 months,finally got a panel beater to help me graft it in.It works like a new one.With the pan,I had to shift the horns out 50mm each side to get the auto to fit and still be strong enough.I welded gussets inside the horns,but am making a Kafer type brace as well to tie in to the shock towers.

Soul October 16th 2005 10:30

Nice work! I like the speedometer mod, I was going to do something like that with the speedo in my oval.

Rob October 16th 2005 10:36

Wow, very nice.
I'm seriously impressed with all the fabrication you did, looks very nice.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you go with an automatic ?

Rob.

Supa Ninja October 16th 2005 11:32

Thats looking good...what kind of exhaust is that?

Massive Type IV October 16th 2005 13:17

Ask Zen about the time he tried to let "looks" cool his engine....... :p

nbturbo October 17th 2005 02:05

3 Attachment(s)
As I said-wanted to make something similar to the NB-which is an 03 turbo with auto and sunroof and they are nearly 50 years apart.When I started this I had a list of must haves-big horsepower motor,auto trans and air conditioning.The air is not going to happen because of the fan set up,but I was determined to go auto.When I bought this engine,it had been raced hard in a single seat buggy with a FAT shroud and a big external cooler.(now running all Sharpbuilt stuff and machined the breather tower)I stripped the thing right down,and apart from some rough clearancing inside the case,it was in very good condition.The heads had 48 and 38 valves and only needed a freshen up-everything was like new.I got another case and clearanced it properly,had everything balanced and crack tested and changed the ****ty wild cam and put in new rings and bearings.Had to get a 210 flywheel because it had a 228 with a pressure plate that only Arnold could operate.I am using the original oil cooler as well as a sandwich plate to an extra fan assist cooler.I made all the exhaust using the stubs from the original FAT buggy pipes,and bought some bends and made the engine pipes.I had some flanges profile cut so I could use original Type4 gaskets.The muffler and pipes are from stainless.I had 2 half cicles rolled with 10mm lips to give me a 61/2 inch tube when welded together.Run 4 perforated pipes inside to ech opposite end and run the tailpipes out thru the original cutouts.It's still a little loud,so will make the tailpipes into mufflers like the originals.I had to do a cutout to clear the crank pulley and welded in the bung for the O2 sensor.The muffler hung a little low when finished and looked like a set of dog's nuts hanging out in shiny stainless-so had the whole lot ceramic coated in matt black-not so obvious now. It will only get an occasional Sunday run,so should be up for all I can throw at it.I had this 2700 badge laser cut in aluminium and the style is as close as they could do to copy the original VW 1300 script.I had to hand finish the edges,then had the 3 of them coated in 24ct gold for something a little different.

Racelook October 17th 2005 12:44

Nice project!!!

When I'm honest the look of the fenders with the earlie bumpers is :( The same with the late rear-valance... but it's al done for the working of the motor/car and not only for the looks.. so that's why I can appreciate it.

Suc6

WIebrand

nbturbo October 20th 2005 05:51

thanks for your comments.

nbturbo November 6th 2005 02:51

3 Attachment(s)
Got my newly painted pan back,so started to assemble to do final fit up with some items B4 I pull the auto to get it rebuilt.Have to do the trans dipstick and making a brace from the horns to the shock towers.

bean_8044 November 6th 2005 04:42

Your pedals are on the wrong side!! :eek:

Looks pretty good :agree:

nbturbo November 24th 2005 23:06

2 Attachment(s)
If they were on the other side-my legs aren't long enough to reach them.Not much progress-still waiting on doors and guards.Found an old pic when I first put it all together to check fit of everything

nbturbo December 8th 2005 23:44

3 Attachment(s)
Got both doors and both lids back-fitted the front and rear seals and fitted the lids and adjusted-all fit OK.Fitted some badges as well.Cut the hole in the parcel tray to make a removeable panel to clear the auto and to get at the front band adjuster.

nbturbo December 21st 2005 20:49

2 Attachment(s)
Got some more bits back-so fitted up the rear guards and lights.

oicdn December 22nd 2005 07:37

God...that is sexy in so many ways.....