GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Late 944 Arms and Eagle Performance Uni-ball (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8163)

levi20AE November 26th 2006 23:33

Late 944 Arms and Eagle Performance Uni-ball

Has anyone used an Eagle performance Uni-Ball coil-over conversion kit with the late 944 arms? I was mocking up the arms tonight and noticed there is a significant offset between where the stock spring plate bolts to the stock trailing arm and where the late 944 arm would bolt-up. Can a spacer be used between where the eagle kit bolts up to the trailing arms and the trailing arms? Does anyone know what the offset differnce is between the stock arms and the later 944 arms?

Thanks

wrenchnride247 November 27th 2006 21:33

I'm not using the uni-ball set-up, but I do have the late 944 arms and spring plates. What are you calling offset? The stock arm's, and the 944's are the same distance from the pivot point out to where the spring plate bolts up. The 944 arm is wider only after the spring plate mount.

levi20AE November 28th 2006 11:29

hmmm.... the offset i thought i was seeing was between the where the spring plate bolts up to the trailing arm. it looked like there was a sizeable gap between the late arms and the stock arms. The offset looked to be in the left to right direction not in the front to back . ill try to mock it up again and see i can find any mistakes in the previous attempt.

wrenchnride247 November 28th 2006 21:41

Do you still have the original arms? If so, set the 944 arm on top of one of the old arms, and line them up, you will see where the arms differ.

levi20AE November 29th 2006 01:02

i thought i read somewhere that there was a different offset and the 944 spring plates had to be used? i guess ill have to look more carefully.

wrenchnride247 November 29th 2006 22:25

Well, there is a difference in bolt patterns, but no offset, and the VW plates on IRS models have a double plate. I'm using the 944 plates, but have all the old stuff I took off for reference if needed.

levi20AE November 30th 2006 00:16

well it sounds like the Eagle Performance plates will work fine then. I communicated with terry from eagle yesterday and all he needs is a sketch of the bolt pattern if there is no offset. thanks for your help. Your car looks good :agree: .

BTW: kinda funny how we both have 70 standards with 87 994t rear arms.

wrenchnride247 November 30th 2006 19:20

Thanks. Oh, and don't forget to put a type IV in the back of that bug too!!

Bug@5speed(US) November 30th 2006 21:31

Levi,

Out of curiosity will your talking with Eagle (Terry) result in a 944 based application?

This would definitely fill a void in low cost coilover conversions..

Let us know and continue to keep us posted
VR
ALex

levi20AE December 1st 2006 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bug@5speed(US) (Post 55497)
Levi,

Out of curiosity will your talking with Eagle (Terry) result in a 944 based application?

This would definitely fill a void in low cost coilover conversions..

Let us know and continue to keep us posted
VR
ALex

I think there are other people who have done the coilover conversion previously, ecspecially in the offroad community. Terry at eagle said he probably already has the tooling for the arms due to prevous customers he only needed a drawing of the bolt pattern where the springplate bolts up the the trailing arm to confirm the proper deminsions.

wrenchnride: I currently have a KO3s turbo from a passat that i plan on using with an 034EFI EMS.

wrenchnride247 December 1st 2006 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by levi20AE (Post 55505)

wrenchnride: I currently have a KO3s turbo from a passat that i plan on using with an 034EFI EMS.

That should scoot you down the road!

notch11 December 11th 2006 20:50

I also have the eagle kit. and I also have
1983 steel 944 trailing arms (same as vw)
1985 aluminum "951" trailing arms (turbo)
stock vw trailing arm.
I was just gonna make new spring plates from an old set of 911 ones I had If I used the alu arms....but what I wanna know is how are people bolting the alu 944 arms on? the bushing is wider, just use washers and a longer skinnier bolt?? or are people welding on diff. brackets??
I might just end up with the early stell 944 stuff so I can narrow them.....so I can fit the 16x7's on a notchback

notch11 January 30th 2007 14:54

nevermind handled it myself. there's more than 1 way to skin a cat