GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   944 aluminum rear trailing arm info (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1993)

Superman April 23rd 2003 16:24

1 Attachment(s)
Okay here's the scoop on 944 aluminum rear trailing arms. First off, throw the part number, year, and model out the window. Every source says something different. It's very confusing and I've never figured out the "code" yet. The best thing to do is just look at the arm, there are two versions. In the pic attached the top version is "early" and the other is "late". These are terms I have used and may not apply. Anyhoot, just look for the arch as pointed to in the bottom arm and you'll know this is the wider of the two versions.

Early (top) will widen track by 43mm
Late (bottom) will widen track by 74mm

Credit: pics and info from the book Kafer Tuning by Helmut Horn

Superman April 23rd 2003 16:42

Note: my reference to the terms "early" and "late" are for the 86-91 944 & 92-95 968 as applies to these rear arms. Don't confuse the 'early' reference to be meant as the 83-85 944 with steel rear arms.

Alex April 23rd 2003 20:27

Awesome James!

This will finally clear some things up.

Alex

kiwivw April 24th 2003 14:01

Yes, thanks James.

As they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.
This clears it up once and for all.

Bugnutz June 28th 2003 12:04

944 alloy trailing arm part #'s

1 Attachment(s)
All,

This is my first post to the forum.

I bought some 944 trailing arms from a Porsche dismantler.
I requested the 'early' narrow track version, but when they arrived I found the wide track in the box. He tells me that definitely the arms are off of an '86, and the only way to be sure on the narrow arms is to get him the part number.

The numbers on the w i d e arms I have-
right- 951.330.514.04
left- 951.331.513.04

The brake rotors are approx. 12- 12 1/4" in dia. and 20mm thick.
The calipers are the single-piston floating type. The arms appear to be incompatible with my stock 1969 double layer spring plates and have no provision for a bump stop.

I could use some help in the form of part numbers from those of you with the narrower aluminum trailing arms, although I have to confess that part of me wants to just go 'turbo' and use the wider arms along with flared fenders and big tires.

Also find attached a modification of the arm compare photo.

- Mark. (Bugnutz) (1969 beetle, owned since 1976)

Superman June 28th 2003 20:47

Guess I failed to mention in my original post about the bump stop. Perhaps Alex can post about the older cars with the double spring plate. Mine is a 73 and I went with the steel arms. Oh and welcome :D

MattKab June 28th 2003 21:00

I just love the way we spell Aluminium :)

1 Attachment(s)
I got both the sexy '87 951 cast arms and the '86 944 steelies. I will get past the output flange issue so I got the early arms with hope of obtaining T181 O/F's or finding a Quaife in my cornflakes and The longer, more springy 951 axleshafts.

I learned they require use of the spring plate off the same car or some normalising (welding) of a spring (Plate). The springplate bolt holes on all (Porsche and VW) steel arms go like ,' , on the cast arms they go , ' , the corresponding springplate must be wider :confused: I believe the end of the '03 torsion housing needs modification to take the 951 springplate?

I cut a sourced spring plate for a mock-up, rather than machine the 951 (THIS IS NOT A VIABLE MODIFICATION AND IS AGAINST THE PHILOSOPHIES OF BOTH MYSELF AND TRUE GL!)

The rear track was increased and wider rear wings would have been necessary to clear my lovely 7.5*17/et52mm 225/45.

Please bear in mind my Beetle gets decomissioned Friday evenings and put back to stock by Monday morning for work. This goes on until developments are figured out for satisfactory execution. Only the fasteners and faces get detailed at the mo.

From memory (March '02) the bushes are a straight swap for the Bug ones and it bolts straight up. nice and light. The '03 single plate springplate is in the right location but only top 2 holes line up (LOOK 4" /\ ).

The shock absorber bolts on the 951 arms are M14 fine thread, a serious bolt requiring a simple lathe job to make a shouldered stud for the 12mm bottom damper eye.

When the shocker is bolted up at the bottom, I noticed that the top eye was off axis to the bolt hole in the '03 shocker mount by a degree or so? I checked my work and concluded the shocker on the 951 shocker travels about a different centre.

The top bolt will go in but I didn't like the feel of the loading in the top bush. It doesn't fit. Easy sorted with a new M14 thread in the shock tower and a 14mm ID bush in the top eye of a Bug shocker.

Does this line up when the 951 springplate is used?

Matt

MattKab June 28th 2003 21:05

And the opposing static bump stops! Thanks Superman :)

Superman June 28th 2003 21:42

Re: I just love the way we spell Aluminium :)

Quote:

Originally posted by MattKab
'87 951 cast arms and the '86 944 steelies
In the USA, it would be '86 cast and '85 steel. According to my parts source there were 4 arms...

==========
83-85 944
==========
86-89 944 S
==========
86-89 944 Turbo
89-91 944 S2
==========
89 944 Turbo S
90-91 944 Turbo
==========

Note: The 968 most likely has the 944 S2 arms and the 968 Turbo S has the 944 Turbo S arms.

Superman June 28th 2003 21:47

Opps, let me add... if you want the cast arms then get the 86-89 944 S ones but again check the shape of the arm. Personally I went with Bug steel arms as the 944 arms don't offer that much more adjustability for the work involved to install them. Some may disagree but for what my car will be (summer weekend cruiser) it seemed too much.

zen January 31st 2004 18:06

so for those running the wide arms, what are you doing for a bumpstop since the arm does not accomodate for one?

SilverBullet January 31st 2004 20:41

Drilled and tapped and used a bolt (size) just nice to fit the bumpstop. :)

zen January 31st 2004 20:47

i assume that is on the shock tower. where does it hit the arm? i don't see a place set for it.

boygenius January 31st 2004 22:44

Please post a pic. :)

boygenius January 31st 2004 23:31

Zen. do you remember how much space is between the bump stop and the shock tower on the stock suspension. :confused:

zen January 31st 2004 23:42

1 Attachment(s)
LOL. no, another thing i was looking at at the same time as you. i sat there kicking myself for not taking measurements. ah ha, i took pics though. one is attached.

boygenius January 31st 2004 23:53

If you mount the bump stop upside down so that it attaches to the shock tower you only have a 2" gap, that works out to 3-1/4" wheel travel. If you mount it to the arm on inside of the spring plates the gap is 3" and the wheel travel is 4" to 4-1/4". I guess the ultimate bump stop location will be decided by wheel travel. What is stock wheel travel???

boygenius February 1st 2004 00:20

OK, the distance between the bump stop and the shock tower is approximately 4-3/4" with stock suspension. I will remove my bushings from the porsche arms and re-install them in the VW ones and take more acurate measurements. :)

zen February 1st 2004 00:29

are you taking those measurements with the spring plate on the lower stop? just curious. also a shorter bump stop should work as long as it still have a safe buffering. not sure what that is, but remember reading this somewhere, so probably worth investigating.

SilverBullet February 1st 2004 01:12

Drilled and tapped on the alu. trailing arm where there's a circular area! Pardon my discription! :) Only 15mm from bumpstop to body! Using 225/50/16 tyres with 15mm clearance from tyre to fender and shock solid hard! So far no cracks or tear on the bumpstops. :)

boygenius February 1st 2004 12:13

SilverBullit you have the early arms, We with the late arms don't have the flat area on the trailing arm. Not going to be that easy for us. :(

Zen, I measured the stock suspension and there is 3-3/4" between the bump stop and the shock tower with the spring plate resting on its stop. That works out to 5" of wheel travel. Also the center of the stub axle is 1.5" higher on the 944 arms than on the VW arms, lowering your car an automatic 1.5". With the 944 suspension one of the places I'm thinking of placing the bs is upside down on a plate of steel between the rear body mount and just on top of the top of the bs plate on th eshock tower. Basicly look at your rear suspension and draw an imaginary line horizontaly from the rear body mount straight back. Then you could cut out the part of the stock arm that holds the bs and weld it to the steel so you could just use standard VW bump stops. Placed there you get 5" of wheel travel. :)

zen February 23rd 2004 00:26

since i ended up with both early and late ali arms, i thought i would share a pic showing track width differences. i did no measuring and these shots are hardly scientific, but the difference in width comes from the hub. there should be no difference in the length of axles required. spring plate mount is obviously in the same place as well.

here's what they look like (early on top, late on bottom)...
http://www.volksport.net/images/proj...comparison.jpg

those come from a 924S/86 951 for the early and a 944S/late 951 for the late arm. also, here is a 86 951 rotor on the late arm. goes to show the difference (not i get to order rotors again)...
http://www.volksport.net/images/proj...ronlatearm.jpg

jhelgesen February 23rd 2004 00:40

Hey Zen, I can take those rotors off your hands, I'll need a pair for the vert.

zen February 23rd 2004 00:50

i'll probably just hold onto them and use them on my 951. it is not too far off from a brake job. haven't measured the rotors on it though. i got these from Vertex for $65 each though. shipping is what kills the deal.

jhelgesen February 23rd 2004 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by zen
i'll probably just hold onto them and use them on my 951. it is not too far off from a brake job. haven't measured the rotors on it though. i got these from Vertex for $65 each though. shipping is what kills the deal.

Oh yeah, forgot you had that water pumper. No prob.

Tim February 23rd 2004 09:53

Hello Zen,

As you've got both early and late alu arms side by side, does it look ok that the hub of the early alu arm can be used on the late alu arm?

Thanks
Tim

barbe February 23rd 2004 11:26

Hello! I have a 1303 or superbetel, of the 72. I need the back arms porsche 944, but which year? My car has the suspension top behind. I thank for all the help

barbe February 23rd 2004 11:27

i need two:
the first is 944 for the 89
and later is 944s for the 87

boygenius February 23rd 2004 11:50

The early aluminum arms are easier to use, year 1985.5 to 1986 because there is a place for the suspension bump stop.

The later trailing arms 1987 and later are a little wider so there is no need for wheel spacers when running most wide wheels. But there is no place for a bump stop to limit suspension travel. Hope that helped.

barbe February 23rd 2004 12:03

merci&thank's

Bugnutz February 23rd 2004 14:18

On the same case!

Zen,

Thanks a lot for sending the photos. I am working on exactly the same problem- I don't have enough fender clearance, and will need to change from the late "dished" hubs and wider hat section rotors to early flat hubs and the rotors like your new ones. The photos will help out a lot when I go for the parts.

Regards, Mark.

zen February 23rd 2004 15:59

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim
Hello Zen,

As you've got both early and late alu arms side by side, does it look ok that the hub of the early alu arm can be used on the late alu arm?

Thanks
Tim

i've never had them apart so can't speak for bearing, stub and hub interchangeability. some others here might be able to. attached is a better pic of the hub comparison. not much of a help, but better than nothing. :)

Tim February 24th 2004 06:56

Thanks Zen. The lock nuts look the same but not sure if the number of splines and the diameter of the stubs are the same.

Regards
Tim

zen February 24th 2004 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim
Thanks Zen. The lock nuts look the same but not sure if the number of splines and the diameter of the stubs are the same.

Regards
Tim

i will try to get some measurements on that, but am in a bit of a scramble. remind me in a couple weeks if i haven't done it. will try to do it in the next coupld of days though.

LOAF June 6th 2004 14:37

Question to all,

Is it possible to limit the travel on the rear (regardless of whether it is an early or late alumn. set up by using a Macpherson Strut (Bump stop) Bushing. Like most new cars have on the front. But for our application install it on the rear strut?

If possible this would seem like a much easier solution than finding a place to install the vw stop..

Now that I have my assembly (late alumn) and am ready for the install, I am noticing more and more issues.. :bawling:

But that is life :)

ALex

boygenius June 6th 2004 15:01

2 Attachment(s)
Bump stop pics...

I used some summit universal bump stops an ddrilled and tapped the shock tower at the correct angle so they would hit the top of the trailing arm. On the right side I screwed up the angle and broke off a tap in the shock tower. I wnet to home depot and bought a .06 cent nut and welded it into the shock tower at the correct angle... :)

LOAF June 7th 2004 22:11

Sorta what I was thinking.. but your idea is better..

Thanks again.. and nice...
Alex

boygenius July 7th 2004 01:05

Alignment help.

2 Attachment(s)
Just a simple way to get your trailing arms pretty straight when bolting them up. I used a 3/8" drive extension and a 16mm craftsman socket to hold the trailing arm in place while the bolts were tightened down. At least that way your rear end would be straight enough to get to the alignment shop.

Humble July 11th 2004 00:22

that's a pretty high tech alignment tool ;)

i just picked up a second set of trailing arms to do a straight up swap. they guy says they're off an 87 944 turbo. 4 pot calipers all around, but the rear arms are funky.

they have the early cast in bumpstop, but the late wider track. just when i though everything was making sense :P

boygenius July 11th 2004 00:53

Hmmmm. Can you post some pics. I know that the 1986 turbo had the early aluminum trailing arms with less track increase.
Well since they have the bump stop area in the arm that should make for one less challenge in installing them. ;) :agree: