GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   '74 euro 911 for a '59 vert? please guide me! (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4185)

jao April 19th 2004 21:42

'74 euro 911 for a '59 vert? please guide me!

hello all!
well this is my first post ;) i currently have an almost completed project car [1983 volvo 240 turbo] and am considering building a GL bug or fastback for my next one.

here is where i need guidance:

i can get a 1959 'vert that is pretty much complete and pretty solid altho it is in a bunch of pieces. and in need of a _complete_ restoration. $2000 firm is the asking price. i can't seem to find any better of a deal around here in AZ.

i have a complete [ but rusty ] european 1974 911 targa that i got for free :D

i've got a couple of t3 turbos around... and a welder... and a extra megasquirt... and a 1970 body / 1966 pan laying around here somewhere.

i am thinking of getting the bug, and selling off the porsche parts that i do not use to off-set the cost of the bug. i've just watched two 2.7L 911 engines go for over $900 on ebay - that's half of the price of the bug! and there still the good interior, euro gauges, lights etc left...

porsche parts i would use:
brakes
wheels [cookie cutters until i get the 17" replicas]
tranny [got to love the 5 speeds]
headlight lenses
spare tire
steering wheel [ don't know if this one would fit...]
911 cooling fan / alternator

engine would be an turbo 1641 with a small intercooler programmable EFI and ignition.

my goal would be a daily driver car, but only when the weather is nice enough to have the top down [like 90% of the time here in Arizona] i have a volvo wagon for the beater / parts hauler...

if i take the summer off of work i could split the time between the car and helping my mother and father finish their house. it would have to running / but not finished by the end of summer. lots of tools and space at their place... better compressor... better food... no rent...

pretty much what i am asking is: would you sacrifice a rusty - can't drive it - $600+ for the oil pump - look at me i have a porsche 911 for a '59 GL vert done on a budget?

please help!

zen April 19th 2004 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jao
pretty much what i am asking is: would you sacrifice a rusty - can't drive it - $600+ for the oil pump - look at me i have a porsche 911 for a '59 GL vert done on a budget?

first off, welcome!!!!!

and secondly, in short, yes.

based on your description, sounds like the 911 would be too much $$$ to recover the car. take what you can and sell the rest. a '59 GL vert would be sweet. sounds like you have many of the pieces and parts and you have a plan. follow it.

hmmm. i am looking for a bus now. hmmm. 2.7l 6-banger. it's been done, but...