GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   German Look Tuning (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What is your definition of the Germanlook style? (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29)

Alex July 25th 2002 21:16

What is your definition of the Germanlook style?

Let us hear what you think is considered GermanLook.

Is the the Porsche rims? !7" rims? Spoilers? Track car with no interior? Porsche brakes?

Would you consider a 67 with stock interior, chrome moldings and 17 inch Cup 2s a Germanlook style bug?

Alex

vujade July 25th 2002 22:12

German Look to me is the utilization of modern parts on our cherished old VW's. This could mean parts from Porsche, VW, Mercedes & even the aftermarket. I dont believe it it just limited to Porsche parts like some believe.

I dont think it should be limited to just one style either, it could include stripped out track ready cars & also modern looking streeters too.

Lets not turn the German Look into the *cal look where we all have same retro look cars with BRM Rims, 135 Tires, turbo muffler & lowered more in the front then the rear!

*Nothing against the Cal Look personally, I have been a fan for many years since the early 80's. But as of recently it has turned a bunch of homogenized cars with basically the same setup with different paint jobs! I remember a time when cal look meant anything from mono tone paint jobs to graphic paint jobs & everything in between.

Superman July 26th 2002 00:16

Monochromatic paint scheme
late model Porsche wheels (16" and up)
big brakes (944/951/911)

it's that basic to me but everyone can't have the same thing so certain aftermarket wheels to meet the grade

Alex July 26th 2002 00:56

vujade,

I really like your reply. Germanlook for me is high tech. With what parts I achieve it I do not care. It is interesting to see what the Germanlook means to others. I was thinking about writting an article but honestly I can not do it. I think there are too many flavours to generalise. It is what the individual makes out of it.

Alex

bren July 26th 2002 05:40

im with vujade 100% if i go by supermans definition, then my car doesnt fit into the germanlook or eurolook styles.. , but it features modern aftermarket rims, parts from modern vw's and a largely stock body..

trevorbrady July 26th 2002 11:28

I guess mine is similar to Bren's.
The body is mostly stock (albeit stock pre '67, which isn't stock for my '73. Confused?) with blacked-out chrome bits.
I've got 17" modern aftermarket non-Porsche wheels, lowered all round, 4 wheel cross-drilled disk brakes (again, non-Porsche) uprated suspension, modern interior with bucket seats and harnesses. The only Porsche items on my car are the steering wheel and gauges. Soon to have IRS and maybe a roll cage if my insurance agrees...
Oh, stock 1600 motor too...

Dan Zink July 26th 2002 11:33

I consider my car to be a "German Look" Bug.

Now - I've "only" got CB disc brakes, and I "still" have my chrome trim, and I have "overrider" bumpers, I have a pretty "stock" interior...

If this was the DKP or Cal-Look - I figure I'd be ostracized because it doesn't fit in "exactly" as described....

But - I do have a stompin' type4 motor with fuel injection/MSD and a knock sensor, and I "do" have 17" rims with wide tires......

I tell people it's German Look - or "Euro" look....whatever.

Alex July 26th 2002 12:26

Hi Dan,

good to see you here. I agree with you. The funny thing is that some of the Callook cars could be considered GermanLook too. They use Fuchs rims. Looking at Keit Seume's book there was an Oval with Fuchs that was described as a Germanlooker.

Maybe it was becasue it was actually a bug in Germany
:hehehe:
It was owned by a German T1 tuner Welsch.

Alex

lightning bug July 26th 2002 17:38

I would have to agree with vujade, Bren and Alex. I don't think it should be limited to Porsche parts. I guess we would have to call it "Porsche look" then. The way I see it is German/ Euro look is all about performance when you get down to it. Nothing like a well-engineered German automobile. I just hope we never see "Chevy look":toilet: Sheesh!

Superman July 26th 2002 18:34

I agree with everyone. I mean each person has what they like and there is no way that any car will fit into just one "look". If we all did that it would be bland and boring.

Take me for example, I have a GTI engine in my car... what "look" is that? I have the 'one-piece' windows in my doors, so that's a bit of Callook in it... and so on.

In the early 80's the AMG company would take a baby-benz and put a huge motor in it, 17" wheels, and a mono scheme paint job... to me that was the pure beginning of the "Euro-look".
My Bug is basically this idealology but with a VW/Porsche based car. I don't use any other parts that don't come off a VW, Porsche, or Audi.

I tried to sumerize it above but I think Vujade did a better job with his statement, "German Look to me is the utilization of modern parts on our cherished old VW's".

Bren (I like your car and this is not a shot but an example), to me your car is not Germanlook. Your car, to me, is Callook with some Eurolook wheels. I don't consider anything other than (944 non-turbo at least) Porsche brakes to be euro or german "look". On that same note I'll be the first to admit that these brembo brakes are MAJOR overkill and the Type I (Ghia based) disc brakes are fine. My Dad's '66 'Vert (IRS pan with discs) stops on a dime.

When I started my "Super Volkswagens" site years ago and when Brian (STF owner) made me a forum for it I named it "Eurolook" due to the fact that Germanlook (even though that is what my car is/will be) is a nice style but if we conformed to that all our cars would look the same. Bren's car is a good example of "Eurolook" and a nice look. Back in the day Motor Trend magazine use to call the AMG cars the Eurolook style and that is where I got that term.

I guess my point is that none of our cars are just one certain look and we all define things differently. What one considers callook the other may call it eurolook, etc. Our cars each have their own style and individuality. Don't build your car to please a judge at a show or a group of peers. Make your car however you'd like and even make your own look or style!

vujade July 26th 2002 19:20

Ive enjoyed everyones comments so far. It looks to me like everyone has similar views with there own personal twist. This is great! It should keep things progressing. I think this look has been a long time coming. I myself was wondering a few years ago when the VW scene was going to grow up so to speak. With all we've learned over the last thirty years technologically speaking, its just dont make sense to build our cars using old technology. To me, the german look is what the Cal Look should have evolved into, instead it stayed the same as it was 30 years ago!

just my 2 cents

vert July 26th 2002 19:50

To me the Germanlook can be lots of things, i guess mainly 17's stock trim, type 4 motor and big brakes being Porsche or something else that is big enough to fill the wheels. On my own Cabrio its a dark metallic paint with color matched top, BIG type 4,
17" Porsche wheels, dash,brakes, suspension and recaro's with leather etc. Like Alex says, i too want my car to be as high tech and as modern as i can make it. Ofcourse everyone has different ideas what they would like for their car and at the end of the day everyone should be encouraged to build their car as they would like it to be.

Superman July 27th 2002 00:23

Quote:

Originally posted by vert

On my own Cabrio its a dark metallic paint with color matched top, BIG type 4, 17" Porsche wheels, dash,brakes, suspension and recaro's with leather etc.
Yea!!! Now that's what I'm talking about -- pure Germanlook

Here's another name I was thinking of...

Kafer-Cup look

Gutted interior with one fiberglass racer bucket.
Completely dechromed with flared fenders and airdam.
Brembos & 17"s or bigger
Battery in front... etc.

vert July 27th 2002 01:56

Yep, a buddy of mine has a 1302 like that- totally stipped out exept racing seats. Fully painted inside, carbon door panels etc.
2.4 type 4, flared guards etc etc. He's actually mounted the battery in the front with an alloy X brace mounted also.:silly:

petevw July 27th 2002 15:09

being different,
driven by technology,
thinking "outside the box"

vujade July 28th 2002 09:44

Has anyone seen the new VWTrends, Setpember issue? I just got it yesterday & there is this feature called Chocolate Drop with a 57 Oval. I read the whole article & when I got to the last paragraph I couldnt belive what the writer for VWTrends had to say about the VW scene today (cal look)...

And I quote "...so many custom VW's are starting to look like clones: restricted by a certain 'look'."

from VWTrends, September 2002 pg48

bugsoup July 28th 2002 11:02

I wonder if he would say that about a factory restoration... "Hey, that looks just like the cars that Volkswagen made. It's a clone."

In my opinion, the "look" that you are going for is just an expression of your tastes in cars. If it happens to look similar to someone else car, its because you like that look, not because you are trying to be just like that person. I see nothing wrong with adapting certain features for your use.

Does this writer have the same opinion of manufacturers that copy each other, and then make millions of those clones. One example is the similarities between the Honduh Accord and the Toyota Camry. They have looked like clones since they started production.

My last bit of sarcasm: "That Ford Taurus looks just like that Mercury Sable. That's not right."

bugsoup July 28th 2002 11:24

By the way, if you want a good definition of GermanLook, just look at the categories on this forum: Engines, Transmissions, Brakes, Suspension, and Wheels and Tires. Its all about being a drivers car. No trailer queens.

vujade July 28th 2002 14:59

well actually I believe the writer was correct in his opinions. THe cal look or resto custom or whatever else you want to call it, has become a very bland, carbon copy look. Everyone is running the same wheels, tire combos & exhaust. Only difference is the paint jobs.

I remember a time when the Cal Look produced many wild cars. Some with chrome bumbers, one piece windows & empi wheels, others with monochomatic paint jobs & custom wheels, & still others with radical mods (ie. sucide doors, chops, etc) & graphic paint jobs. the cal look kept changing & progressing until the 90's, then it reverted back to the 70's for some reason.

I dont think that you could limit the German/euro Look to just one set of rules! There are to many inovative things going on right in the automotive world to put a cap on things & say that this is the only way it can be done.

The possibilities are endless! :)

bugsoup July 28th 2002 15:24

Good points. I do agree that most cal-look cars look very similar. Its hard to be different with a look thats had 40 years of trends. Although, the only distinguishing features of the car in the article are the billet wheels, strange pattern on the upholstery, and getting lucky with the paint blend. He still has the cheesy aluminum fender guards and poorly fitted running boards. To me, alot of the cal-look is looking good. The German Look is about going faster (although they seem to look good while doing it, but in a different way). GL is technology driven, while CL is bugdet driven (most of the time).

Superman July 28th 2002 17:30

Trends is pushing the Callook is old and Germanlook is new idea to sell magazines. Hot VWs has very little GL content and Trends is using this as a marketing idea. They showed it when they printed one of my letters (bug mail or whatever) and they edited it to read "The VW Trends' Germanlook" when all I had said was Germanlook... as if they started it or something.

I haven't purchased a magazine since 1995 when I got online, but if I were it would be Volksworld.

vujade July 28th 2002 22:50

well Ive always prefered Trends to HotVW's over the years anyways. I really hope that Trends starts getting behind the German/Euro Scene. It will only spark new interest in the VW scene.

Superman July 29th 2002 00:52

Hey who needs them, we got this site now!
- just kidding

bren July 29th 2002 10:29

Quote:

Originally posted by Superman

Bren (I like your car and this is not a shot but an example), to me your car is not Germanlook. Your car, to me, is Callook with some Eurolook wheels.
LOL!!! this is a first! cal look?!? my bug has never been called THAT before!!!

funny!!

what do the rest of you reckon? cal-look or german-look or euro-look? (mines the blue one BTW!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...d/fd8ea1c6.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...a/fd8ea1c5.jpg

superman.. dont get me wrong this is no attack, i just dont understand where you are coming from? i mean where do you draw the line with the porsche stuff? my friends bug runs 4-wheel kerscher discs with reproduction porsche cup3's... so in actual fact, no porsche parts bar the boxster seats and 911 headlamp lenses, it also runs more chrome than when it left the factory, but does that mean its not a GL?
pic of unfinished car:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e/fd8b8aa2.jpg

Superman July 29th 2002 15:36

Well from the pictures I've seen, and I may be wrong, your car has all the factory body chrome trim and Type I (Ghia) brakes. The wheels are the only thing that sets it apart. Slap some Empi wheels on it and it would be a Cal-look car.

The grey car is doing a little better with the europa bumper and bucket seats but still not all the way.

(Remember this is just my opinion) These cars, you posted, are a mixture of Callook and Germanlook... that's what I call Eurolook. It's just my opinion and terms that I use.

(Again in my opinion) Your car would need 944 discs, Recaro type seats, europa bumper, and no trim, blacked-out trim, or body colored trim to be Germanlook.

This is what I consider Germanlook...

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/gallery/ja1.jpg

Superman July 29th 2002 15:42

Quote:

i mean where do you draw the line with the porsche stuff?
Correct, that is exactly what I had posted before, if all our cars had the same Porsche wheels it would be bland. It guess Porsche wheels = Germanlook and others (not Empi stuff but like on your car) = Eurolook.

If I've offend anyone just put it all in the :toilet: these are just my opinions.

My car is in thousand of pieces, boxes, parts, and bits... what look is that :(

Dan Zink July 29th 2002 21:05

I can live with euro look :)

Jus' so long as it ain't cal-look...I couldn't take that...:)

Dan

p.s. - and that's no slam to the cal-lookers !! it's just not what "I" want.

vert July 30th 2002 04:00

Quote:

Well from the pictures I've seen, and I may be wrong, your car has all the factory body chrome trim and Type I (Ghia) brakes. The wheels are the only thing that sets it apart. Slap some Empi wheels on it and it would be a Cal-look car.

The grey car is doing a little better with the europa bumper and bucket seats but still not all the way.

(Remember this is just my opinion) These cars, you posted, are a mixture of Callook and Germanlook... that's what I call Eurolook. It's just my opinion and terms that I use.

(Again in my opinion) Your car would need 944 discs, Recaro type seats, europa bumper, and no trim, blacked-out trim, or body colored trim to be Germanlook.

This is what I consider Germanlook...

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/gallery/ja1.jpg

Hey thats my car!!! where did you get pics of it ????? OH, oops wrong color LOL. Looks just like mine tho.

bren July 30th 2002 05:20

Quote:

944 discs would never happen, i cant justify the expense for a totally over engineered brake setup for a 1600 bug! the other main reason is that i want to keep the 4x100 PCD. seats in my bug are POLO GT seats front and rear.. almost identical to golf GTI's but with a narrower rear seat. europa bumpers i already have?!?!?! or do you mean the 74-on bumpers with the indicators built in? i thought about using those, but decided not to as my front end was very very low when i first built the car.. its since been raised, but when it was low, the indicators in the bumper would have been too low to pass the MOT test.. they basically would have been illegal! as for the trim... funny you should mention that! ive just sourced a bumper from a jeans bug, and as im sure you know, they had satin black trim... ive also got some indicator covers that im prepping for paint.. again in satin black.. and the side trim will also be going black.... all this should be done in readiness for the VWACTION show in september, so ill take some pics while im there and post them up.. see what you all reckon....

Superman July 30th 2002 05:31

Yes I mean the 74 & up bumper. Cool beans on the black trim, it's gonna look so good I think. Nice seats, I seen your car in a friend's Volksworld but didn't notice them. I understand about the turn signals... damn law (MOT)!

http://www.germanlook.org/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif

One thing I wondered, how does everyone feel about my CCC Porsche 911 Carrera style Whailtail... is that Germanlook?

Rae Sevilla July 30th 2002 08:00

First of all im from Manila,Philippines. For me germanlook/eurolook is a new trend in our vw industry that may not be compared to other looks,its a way of upgrading our vw's to a stage were even some of the newer cars cannot compete,but it doesn't have to be porsche parts,all we need is to use new aftermarket/highformance parts that can make our selves proud and individualise our vw's.

Right now I have a 1302s that I have for 4 yrs. its my first vw and I want it to be my only vw,and I already painted the bumpers,and will start to modify the front suspension to accomodate smaller coilspring so that I can install a BBS/TSW 17's hope to hane a type 4 engine, but thats way to far,but I love the look and hope to make my superbeetle a looker in our country.

My friends have a sight we all love modifying and into euro/germanlook some of our fellow enthusiast doesn't understand our passion to germanlook but soon they will.
This is our website:www.also.as/vwfreak.com tnx for a very nice site,its a good help.

RAE NOEL SEVILLA
vw 1302-s '72

MattKab August 3rd 2002 11:34

To me, Germanlook and Eurolook are two different things. Both similar. Germanlook is a Vdub term and there is talk of Eurolook cars in Maxpower and the like.

I agree with all that's been posted about Callook, nuf said.

To me, the epitome of why we are all here is a car with proven performance developement. Next generation aircooling.

What we do is different. Although extreme, it should appear natural. I like to think my mod's look factory. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a full-on Kafer-cuf monster, but 1 thing at a time.

My Bug is an ex. Cali '79 Karmann, Orig. Lemongelb but now Porsche 'Pastel yellow'. Black roof. Now RHD. Full chrome inc. original s/s rear fender stone chippies, 17" Cup2's 215/40 and 225/45 Goodyear eagle F1's. red 944 Brembo 4pots allround. Huge chrome 'impact' bumpers. Kerscher single coil struts, F+R anti-roll bars. Black/grey Recaro's, VDO's in Kamei pod and Blaupunkt.

Stock FI engine with stainless, single tail pipe exhaust and stock 3.88 trans. Under developement: 2.4 TypeIV with 914 heads, 915 trans. and a 1776 K-jet rebuild for current motor. Good heater!

I consider this to be the base for the ultimate beetle experience, Lower centroid, arguably stiffer, rack and pinion steering (2.3 turns lock to lock)

Personally, I've never called it germanlook or anything! It's a happy little yellow Beetle. May I add, we feel right at home on this site.

What would you call it? Do you approve?

http://www.hpphoto.com/rs/C94B567B-7...77A760E/screen

http://www.hpphoto.com/opx-bin/OpxFI...fffff%2C90%2C0

MattKab August 3rd 2002 11:39

http://www.hpphoto.com/opx-bin/OpxFI...fffff%2C90%2C0

SilverBullet August 6th 2002 09:35

:)
Germanlook: Exterior: 1303 body, 20mm front,40mm rear widen fenders, Porsche rims minimum 16', Porsche brakes, coilovers, brace bars front n rear, black trims, paint:black,grey or silver, bonnet better to be the cabrio ones, it looks better than the sedan bonnet, kamei front spoiler cutout center for oil-cooler, Europa bumpers with clear lens signals, Remmele roof spoiler, blacken handles.
Interior: Modified dash for 3 Porsche gauges, leather Recaro/Porsche seats, 911 rear view mirror, Prefer a larger diameter steering ie: Porsche, to view gauges as momo ones are pretty small n blocks the view of gauges, rear seats modified to 911 style, dark interior.
Engine: T4 with the works!:)

NYBugman1972 August 6th 2002 21:08

Germanlook is, to me, the modernization of an air-cooled VW.

Large wheels (porsche or not), upgraded brakes (porsche or not), upgraded suspention, cruising oriented tranny, good tires, clean paintjob (chrome is optional), clean interior. It's all about the total package. It's not about the speed, its about the attitude. I like mine with more of a road-friendly (comfortable, I call it orientation, like an actual interior, built for cruising. That's about it.

My definition is pretty open. I'm not going count a car out for still running drums in the rear (like me or Brian "Phat73vw"), or for having a stock or small displacement engine (Trevor Brady). It's about attitude. Who can deny the sheer attitude of Brian's or Trevor's cars?

lightning bug August 6th 2002 22:24

Quote:

Originally posted by NYBugman1972

Germanlook is, to me, the modernization of an air-cooled VW.

Large wheels (porsche or not), upgraded brakes (porsche or not), upgraded suspention, cruising oriented tranny, good tires, clean paintjob (chrome is optional), clean interior. It's all about the total package. It's not about the speed, its about the attitude. I like mine with more of a road-friendly (comfortable, I call it orientation, like an actual interior, built for cruising. That's about it.

My definition is pretty open. I'm not going count a car out for still running drums in the rear (like me or Brian "Phat73vw"), or for having a stock or small displacement engine (Trevor Brady). It's about attitude. Who can deny the sheer attitude of Brian's or Trevor's cars?

Well said! Also, I don't think something like wheel size should matter. I think alot of people are thinking along the lines of Porsche look. Again, I see GL as a tuning thing more than a look. I mean look at the watercooled VW's. They are starting to go more for function rather than flashy styling. (finally) We're starting to see them with smaller diameter wheels, less body kits and they are giving more attention where it should be given. TUNING! Are these still considered GL? I know we're talking air-cooled, but it still follows the same "guidelines" I guess you could say. I'll say it again. There is alot we can do with this style. It shouldn't be limited too much as just to Porsche parts or "no interior". Everyone's cars are going to look the same just with a different paint job. My car will have a full interior. I don't want it to look like I'm gonna blow your doors off. I want it be as embarrasing as possible for the guy I'm racing and still be a joy to drive. And I definitely will consider my car GL. But "no interior" is GL also. Why not? All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be as limited as the GL cars will start to look like clones just with different paint.

Chris Percival August 7th 2002 04:10

Brens bug is a German Look bug, but with a British Twist: Its subtle. Its definitely not Call-look, first because of the wheels, but then there is the level stance, and the fact that he has built it to go round corners well..

For me Eurolook is everything that isn't Call-look (which still dominates), there isn't much else. Also Eurolook is a term used to encompass lots of different styles, pure German Look, French Look, Brit-look etc.

Chris

jakriz August 7th 2002 06:16

I think that my little superbug is German Look, or it may be even called Aussie Look? It has a little bit of everything. Porsche wheels, Porsche wing, Porsche seats (Fixed Cobara seat for the track) Porsche & Autometer guages, 'little' 1880cc motor, full carpet & soundproofing, roll cage, Stereo & speakers etc. I couldn't drive around in a car that had no interior or soundproofing, I think that I would lose my enjoyment for driving very quickly.
So I consider my car to be German Look, Aussie Look & a bit of race look.
But I really don't think that we should start laying down any strict guidelines such as pastal paint or no chrome etc, as I painted my car metallic Purple 9 years ago & I have no intention of changing it guys!
If we have rules & guidelines we will be just like the Cal-lookers are 25 years down the track! Drum brakes, swing axle & a nose down stance with 135 tyres on the front! PLeeeeaaase, what century is it?
Stay Cool
Jak Rizzo
Australia
Ps I couldn't get it to post a pic of my car so u will have to do with a link that James has setup for me
http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/moto...ak/jak7023.jpg

zen August 7th 2002 22:12

the neverending need for humans to classify everything never ceases to amaze me. i battle this same issue in my music career. everyone needs to put everything in a box. i think when you look over everyone's comments on this thread you have what the GL is about. it is about all of them, just tends to be regionalized. mine is becoming a mixture of vw/porsche with a healthy dose of momo. what does that make it? still a vw that is only going to be admired by other vw enthusiasts. if we get rigid with "rules" about the look, that is just how we will be viewed "rigid". everyone has been slighting the cal-look guys, for what...being rigid.

share and enjoy each others rides. i do. and i "will" if i ever finish my damn car.

Superman August 8th 2002 01:00

Quote:

What would you call it? Do you approve?
I call it a good looking car :D