GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Rims rubbing on lower balljoint (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8114)

redhot November 7th 2006 13:15

Rims rubbing on lower balljoint

Hi,

My car is a 1970 standard, fitted with cb disc brake spindels.

Trying to fit a set of Mahle 4 lug rims, 5,5" end ET 40 I think, they rub on the lower balljoint.

How can I help this? Spacer, grinding? etc...?

wrenchnride247 November 7th 2006 13:39

Is the rim hitting the ball joint so you can't bolt wheel on? Spacers will fix. Or is it scraping on the inside of the rim after its bolted on? Bigger diameter rim needed if can't space far enough out.

redhot November 7th 2006 16:34

It`s scraping.. I can fit the rim, but didn`t bolt the rim down further... So it just touches the rim on the inside

Spacer is the best option I guess...

wrenchnride247 November 7th 2006 21:13

Spacers would be cheaper than new rims, but if you went to 16" rims you would fix the scraping. Just make sure the spacers are just enough to correct scraping issue. Too much spacer, and wheels stick out past fenders :( , and can give you a wider track than the rear (unless you space rear too).

redhot November 8th 2006 05:57

Can`t change the wheels... I love the, ;)

http://blogsimages.skynet.be/images/...a1c0249529.jpg

wrenchnride247 November 8th 2006 13:05

You could loose the dropped spindles, and use adjustable beam. Spacers and wider fenders look like your future though.

redhot February 25th 2007 08:20

Hi,

Looking more into the adjustable beam option: would the comfort/driveability suffer? As in harsh ride? Would oil shocks or gas be the best?

Assuming the same amount of lowering, about 2,5". The PUMA have as I understand a maximum of about 5"

wrenchnride247 February 25th 2007 21:46

The PUMA beam is one of the better adjustable beams (I've had one for 15 years or so). Gas shocks for sure (KYB GR-2 for lowered beam). Depending on how you set-up the height, the ride is not too bad. Mine (was) set-up for cornering, but now I have dropped spindles and bigger sway bar (+16 inch wheels). I preloaded the torsion bars to give better cornering before. because, I didn't have a sway bar (don't ask). Now I have it set-up softer (just a little). To have the best ride using only a dropped beam, you just have to make sure the upper and lower torsions are set on the same setting. If you want it stiffer. Lock the bottom close to stock height, and put weight on front end then set the top to the height you want.

redhot February 26th 2007 06:32

Hi,

Thank you for the reply! Appreciate opinions on this...
Would you say that you gained a lot of comfort with the dropped spindels? This is not going to be a track car, but my summertime-cruiser

Another option I consider is adjusting to a large negative camber at the front, and thereby pushing the wheels out from the lower balljoint. Any opinions on this?

wrenchnride247 February 26th 2007 12:39

The dropped spindle's give more of a "stock like" ride. So, they are better than just adjustable beam, but if you don't go to low the rides not bad with beam only.

The more negative camber, more (faster) tire wear.

They make a 2 inch narrowed puma beam (CB Performance). You could get spacers to clear ball joint on dropped spidle, and stay inside stock fender lip. The narrowed beam will require narrowed torsion leaves, and tie rod assy. Which CB also sells.

redhot February 26th 2007 16:00

The problem with the last option is the regulations and veichle inspection here in Norway.

Tire wear is to much of a problem, so I`ll try adjusting the camber.
Also I got a tip that the problem was probably largely beacuse the suspension was not loaded. So that reducing the rebound and a bit more camber I might get lucky :)

flat February 27th 2007 19:03

One more option:

Do a brake system that has more positive offset, thereby moving the wheel away from the suspension. It's an excuse for a brake upgrade...:)

Lanner

redhot February 27th 2007 20:01

Hi,

Got the drop spindels and disc... Are you leading me in on the 944 track? :p

Anyhow... In the future I maybe going to install Kerchers 136 HP kit...