GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Feedback, Suggestions, & Help (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Unread Posts (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10280)

oasis November 13th 2009 05:15

Unread Posts

There's a "New Posts" tab (NP) that I almost always go to when I arrive at GL.net.

I was wondering if an "Unread Posts" tab could also be installed.

There are three times when NP frustrates me.

(1) If I make a reply to a post, hitting the NP doesn't update; instead it acts totally anew and the only thread listed is the post I just responded to. I have to "Back" up three or so times to get back to where I was.

(2) If I spend any time at a post or reply (five minutes, I'm guessing), I get timed out. Logging back on is a tiny nuisance but not having access to the threads I hadn't gotten to is more annoying.

(3) When I login from work, I sometimes don't know how much time I have. Sometimes I'm in a wait mode for a couple minutes; sometimes for an hour or so. If it's short, I won't have the chance to see all of the threads even knowing the first two listed above.

I'm not a programmer in this sort of sense, so it might be troublesome to implement. If an alternative "Unread Posts" tab could be added, that would be great.

Steve C November 13th 2009 08:28

Hi

I have the same problem, so I try only come when I know I have time to respond and look at the new posts, what find works is opening each post in a new window, this gives me plenty of time to even come back later to unread posts.

Steve

oasis November 13th 2009 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve C (Post 72289)
I try only come when I know I have time to respond and look at the new posts

At work, that would mean lunchtime for me. I usually reserve that time for taking care of personal business if I have any, or searching the classifieds/eBay.

At home, that is what I do. However, after four total hours of daily commuting sandwiched around staring at computer most of the day at work, I can barely achieve enough enthusiasm to check my personal emails.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve C (Post 72289)
what [I] find [that] works is opening each post in a new window, this gives me plenty of time to even come back later to unread posts.

That's a good suggestion. I will look into setting up that option. Typically, I have anywhere from seven to 20 windows open with work related stuff. If it is closer to the latter, my work computer doesn't like it when I run time series programs. If it is closer to ten, that will work very well. Thanks. :)

(An "Unread Posts" tab would still be nice, though.)

owdlvr November 13th 2009 17:42

Under the "Quick Links" pull down there is a 'Today's Posts' option, that's what I use.

Seems to list all of the posts of the day...either that, or I'm missing out on a bunch too!

-Dave

oasis November 14th 2009 03:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by owdlvr (Post 72303)
Under the "Quick Links" pull down there is a 'Today's Posts' option, that's what I use.

Nice! The only shortcoming is if I am not here daily, but that is still very useful. Thanks!

Chisel86 January 9th 2013 14:43

I would like to see an option for viewing all posts within a certain timeframe (ie. all posts from this week, or this month, etc) so if you are away for a while you can catch up by viewing what was posted while you were gone, without having to specify a search term or keyword.

Steve C April 3rd 2013 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisel86 (Post 85289)
I would like to see an option for viewing all posts within a certain timeframe (ie. all posts from this week, or this month, etc) so if you are away for a while you can catch up by viewing what was posted while you were gone, without having to specify a search term or keyword.

Hi

That would be a good feature, Aussie Veeduubers has it.

On another site that I use I go to each forum category, open it in a new window and then open each post in a new window back to the date I'm interested in, a bit of work but it ensures you don't miss a thing when you've been away.

Steve

cookvw April 9th 2013 22:49

it seems no one ever comments on my build thread that i do keep updated. lol. not that its a big deal, i guess my build thread isnt exciting.

Steve C May 18th 2013 20:27

Hi

Why does this thread attract spammers? I hardly ever read it now, oh except today.

Steve

NO_H2O May 19th 2013 04:33

Not sure. But I get tired of deleting their $#!^.

Sandeep May 20th 2013 12:32

I think its because every forum software out there has a feedback sub forum so a spambot might look for this specifically. I also delete and ban as fast as I can :(

Sandeep

NO_H2O May 20th 2013 19:56

I can delete, but I can not Ban.

Sandeep May 23rd 2013 10:58

Are you sure Dave ? You are an Admin so you should be able to. Check your PMs

Sandeep

Henrywiple March 20th 2019 19:13

Unread Posts

For a few days now the " show unread posts since last visit " link has come up empty.
There seems to as much activity as usual though?