GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   VolkSport Käfer Gruppe (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Darn close! (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4535)

Pillow July 1st 2004 01:17

Darn close!

Tomrrow will either be great or I will be one very upset dude. Why? Because tomorrow will be the maiden voyage of the Splittie with the IRS rear end, rear 944 disks, modified fuel system, and modified oil filter/line setup.

Too much change isn't it..? The probability for errors is too great! Too much stress! Ahhhhhh! :eek:

If if if all goes well I hope to weasel it onto a rack for an allignment. I am sure the rear end needs fine tuning.

The one part that is still perplexing me is where the dang upper shock mount go. Yup, no rear shocks at the moment. We will see how scary that turns out to be.

Really my biggest fear is having bad angle on the CVs (Type2 units) and blowing the CV open over rough pavement. We will see what happens there as well.

More to come...

Also it is nice to be home where the VW parts and tools are. Ahhh Therapy.

Supa Ninja July 1st 2004 09:30

Good luck Adrian!

Nick

vujade July 1st 2004 10:17

hope all goes well :D

NO_H2O July 1st 2004 18:04

Cool,,,,It will be nice to see it on the road again.

boygenius July 1st 2004 22:21

Good luck. You can do it. :agree:

zen July 2nd 2004 09:13

very cool. do let us know. have you checked in with panelfantasic. he did a hell of a lot of custom fab, but he may have some of the answers you seek on shock mount and such.

Panelfantastic July 2nd 2004 10:00

The problem is Adrian is applying sanity to his fabrication :laugh: !
Mine is so far outside of stock, that nothing applies. I definately understand his fear with the re-engineering... I've been taking longer and longer "short trips" trying to shake mine down and get everything dialed in. A good bit of the interieor is done now so it's more comfortable and I can focus on engine and suspension sounds more... still every little squeak gives me chest pain.

Adrian, of course any help I can give...just shout. :agree:

Pillow July 2nd 2004 12:21

Life is almost good!!!

I took her out today to go to the allignment shop (Butler Tire in Marietta, best rack and operator in the area IMHO). Very sketchy on the way to the shop as the front and rear were out, but after some tweaking she runs straight now. The technician (Gene) was at first not happy to do it as he thought it would be a rust ball with all kinds of stuck bolts... Then he looked underneath and was pleased to see all new parts :D He went from aprehensive to happy to see a custom change that was well excecuted. Not bragging at all, but he told me that it was really nice and that I almost had it alligned alright to begin with in the rear. No control arm changes needed or spring plate changes needed! :) The front was way off due to putting in new tie rods, but easy to adjust.

The tricky part is adjusting the Solex 40P11 carbs as they are way off and running lean, very lean. So enough typing - time to get wrenching!

It feels great to be behind the wheel again! Also the 944 brakes all around are insane!!! Wow can this bus stop, barely touch the pedal.

Overall I am pleased with the conversion so far. The gearing may be too high though as I can run 55MPH in 3rd at 3500RPM... At that rate I will never see 4th!

Thanks for the support!

Panelfantastic July 2nd 2004 13:29

:D :agree: