GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Engines (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dry sump tank position vrs oil line sizes (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11825)

brent May 31st 2015 20:37

Dry sump tank position vrs oil line sizes

Hi everyone.
There has been much debate and chat about this however has anyone considered or have any thoughts on this....

The further the tank is away from the engine theoretically the larger the lines should be, ... reason... oil sticks to the inside of the line thus reducing flow, so the longer the line the more problematic.

I currently have my tank up front and run -12 lines. I have been told and informed that is too small especially on the feed side. I am considering to upgrade to -16 or 1" ID. I could and may relocate tank to the back and then -12 may be ok. I also have two oils coolers up front so oil still requires feeding there anyway.

Fire away Regards Brent

JIMP June 1st 2015 02:37

Hello Brent

we run the same setup on a rally car, we used for the feed 16mm -that's 5/8" ???- ID tubes, those were the inox braided outside with teflon inside, never had problems with this one even on sustained 7500rpm on rally use, that just worked for us

Friendly

Dimitrios

brent June 1st 2015 04:20

oil lines

Hi Dimitrios good to hear from you.

I am doing my best to get this absolutely right, the new engine is v close to starting.

I bought a brand new Thorsten pump, [stunning i might add] and everything in the engine is brand new inc the bearings i got off you. Can you offer me any information on case / tank vacuum and pressure and the importance on this etc? Would you also approve that the larger and more the case/ tank air vents the better?

Could i get away with the scavenge lines to the filter and coolers and the tank being -10 or -12?, the main scavenge one to the tank is about 2.5 mtrs... and the feed line to be larger around -16?

Regards brent

Wally June 5th 2015 18:12

I think I used -16 (dash-16) AN lines as feed to engine from my DS tank in the nose of the car. Return line to DS tank and oil cooler is one or two steps smaller (simple 12/13mm metric lines).
Also with TP pump. Hope that helps.

brent June 6th 2015 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wally (Post 89310)
I think I used -16 (dash-16) AN lines as feed to engine from my DS tank in the nose of the car. Return line to DS tank and oil cooler is one or two steps smaller (simple 12/13mm metric lines).
Also with TP pump. Hope that helps.

Thanks wally, yes that helps and i think that would work well, I will leave the -12 lines every where else, but just the tank feed to pump line i will increase to -16. Actually I just today fitted the pump into me arpm race case, I froze the pump, heated the case and it was still tight as it should be.

effvee June 6th 2015 12:11

Hi, what size/kind of pump will supply the oil and pressure?

brent June 16th 2015 16:27

Hi, its a Thorsten Piper German build dry sump pump, a very nice brand new pump. This will replace my old bug pac or Cb pump. The ratios between pump and scavange are different and a big improvement i understand.

effvee June 16th 2015 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent (Post 89319)
Hi, its a Thorsten Piper German build dry sump pump, a very nice brand new pump. This will replace my old bug pac or Cb pump. The ratios between pump and scavange are different and a big improvement i understand.

Any pics? I plan to use the pauter pump.

exportbug July 21st 2015 06:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by effvee (Post 89321)
Any pics? I plan to use the pauter pump.

For more informations.....
link: www.tp-technologie.de

effvee July 21st 2015 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by exportbug (Post 89350)
For more informations.....
link: www.tp-technologie.de

Thank you.

Bad bug January 15th 2017 10:56

Does anyone know if thorsten dry sump pumps require you to use a smaller crank pully wheel on your engine.

Wally January 15th 2017 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad bug (Post 90522)
Does anyone know if thorsten dry sump pumps require you to use a smaller crank pully wheel on your engine.

Thats not an issue with type 4 and that pump up to about 145mm diameter iirc, only with type 1. I did use once a 170mm pulley and that fitted too, but had a little different off-set as it was the original steel Riechert pulley.
So, basically no ;)