GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   VolkSport Käfer Gruppe (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Draft of new club rules (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4251)

Pillow May 10th 2004 00:01

>'84 Vanagon in great shape at a great price <

Time for a Subie WRX conversion Zen :)

There are a few hardcore Vanagon conversion guys that hang out at www.vwvortex.com in the Transporter forums. Big brakes and Turbo twists kind of thing. Congrats!

A slid points scale for Bus stuff sounds like a good solution to me.

Take Care,

Panelfantastic May 10th 2004 06:35

:D ...you're not alone, more than one person has been corrupted!

jhelgesen May 14th 2004 14:16

Okay, hadn't looked at these till today. I ran the numbers for the 912-6 :)

engine 26
tranny 5
brakes 10
suspension 15
wheels 6
body 5
interior 9

I still need to finish the body mods and the megasquirt injection system, then build the custome muffler system.

Too much fun.....

zen May 14th 2004 15:56

honestly, i hadn't even done mine since i knew i am outta control anyway. i just blasted through it so these may be slightly off...

Engine: 48
Tranny: 3
Brakes: 15
Suspension: 17 (includes not yet installed rear sway)
Wheels: 6
Body: 22-27 (not sure on weight yet)
Interior: 19

Total score (not that it applies in the rules): 130-135

told you i am outta control.

boygenius May 14th 2004 20:01

Here are the numbers on my GL in progress.

Engine = 12
transmission = 4
brakes = 12
suspension = 17
wheels = 6
body = 13
interior is not there. :laugh:

NO_H2O May 14th 2004 21:37

Mine will be.

Eng.-39

Trans.- 5 after the 901

Brakes- 4

Susp.- 10 now 14 after the Cup and strut braces go in.

Wheel/Tire - 4

Body - 13

Int.-16

Panelfantastic May 14th 2004 22:05

If I figured right,
eng - 10
trans - 1
suspension - 14
brakes - 9
wheels - 6
body - 3
interior - 11

total - 54

zen May 14th 2004 22:17

i'm glad we are going through this excersize. panel's results bring a couple of things to mind. that is a hell of an engine swap. the idea behind these rules is to ensure balance on the vehicles upgrades and to grant points for hard but quality conversions. albeit we want the rules slightly air-cooled slanted, your engine is a quality job and will be a performer above par. which leads me to say i would view your conversion as a class 2 car all the way.

we have points for displacement increase, maybe additional points should be granted for HP and/or torque increases also. just one thought.

body is another area. again (even though i have only seen pics), i looks to be a class 2 job. nothing shabby about it from what i can tell. seems it should be more than 3 points. you have custom paint right? that is 4 points right there. i noticed we did not have any points for custom ducting. i think that is something to add.

you guys come across anything else worth addressing while going through this?

Panelfantastic May 14th 2004 23:37

Thanks Zen. My project is so unique that it's definately unfair to add a bunch of "Jeff only" point awards...but the two you pointed out are very good examples of mods that transcend car or bus. Ducting is definately GL for looks and performance. The biggest selling point for me on the engine swap was the big hp numbers on a stock platform and is the main reason most go that route, so having that recognized would be great! (at least until the mods start on the Eco and I can get those points :D )

boygenius May 15th 2004 00:22

How about some points for chassis detail. :laugh:

I only wet sanded my chassis between coats of paint... both sides... :rolleyes: Just looking for some points.

zen May 15th 2004 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by boygenius
How about some points for chassis detail. :laugh:

I only wet sanded my chassis between coats of paint... both sides... :rolleyes: Just looking for some points.

points aren't awared for sickness. :D :eek:

actually that and suspension detail are probably worth noting in some way. will think that over.

panel, that is exactly what i want to make sure is accounted for. in many cases it makes sense to do an engine swap and with the stock engine have massive HP. you shouldn't have to do it all through engine mods. but we do want to ensure they are quality jobs and not someone having half an engine sticking out of the back. tough to figure out how to ensure that.

Panelfantastic May 15th 2004 10:17

That's easy. Just use the monster garage creedo...only really mean it, "conversion must appear to be stock", "must fit within the confines of the original engine bay". :cool:

NO_H2O May 15th 2004 10:45

I agree with Panel. There has to be a "Quality of Workmanship" statment. No chains, crappy welded iron brackets ( I know Iron stock must be used, but no half thought out, nasty looking stuff that looks like it belongs on an old Liquer still from the back 40.)

yellow73 June 6th 2004 22:23

I just reviewed the draft rules - been a bit behind lately.
Just for a laugh I applied the class scoring to my fairly stock bug and came up with the following:

Engine: 8
Trans: 3
Brakes: 3
Suspension: 8
Wheels: 0
Body: 4
Interior: 6

The only exclusionary class is for the wheels, but since this represents much of the essence of the club - I get it.

I was pleasantly suprised that I exceeded the Class One score in all areas but one...guess I really will have to do something about those wheels.....

As for class names...VKG Lite and VKG Works....!!!!!
I will try and come up with something better.

craigt-from-atl June 15th 2004 15:39

I think the revision of the rules is the correct thing to do also and look good so far.

I am still not quite in the market for my next beetle yet, but have always known I wanted to go with a Type IV engine and Porsche brakes. Other modifications will be made to make it a more safe vehicle, but I'm not sure how much else I want to do yet.

The initial guidelines for inclusion in the club had me turned off a bit. I kinda liked the idea of a 'sleeper' look and didn't really want to dechrome, repaint, replace all interior, etc. I did some initial estimating on what I'd like to do and found myself in the lower of the two classes, but in most cases in the higher class. I'm with (I think Pillow said it) in that it will meet my needs and I would just be happy to be included. :o

I think it's good for the club to widen the scope of the acceptable cars. I may not be 100% GL hardcore, but definitely would have more GL than some of the 'regular' clubs around. It would be good for me to be able to associated with guys that have the same type of engines and brakes to help me learn more.

So bravo on the rules adjustments. I should be seriously looking for an early beetle around October. :)