GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Loosing the back end in high speed corners (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5041)

4agedub October 26th 2004 01:54

Loosing the back end in high speed corners

Hi guys
I have got a 1776cc type 1 powered race bug running 15" slicks, thick torsion tubes, big z bar and kyb shocks. The back end tends to go into the wrong camber when I enter a fast corner and then I loose it.

I thought about fitting a mono coil over shock like the old formula vee's had, but I'm not too sure that it would help. Any suggestions?

Maybe make the front end more stiff as well?

Thanks guys.

super vw October 26th 2004 03:04

well if your rear is stiffer than the front then you will have "over steer" if the front is stiffer than you will have under steer... most cars have some under steer to make it harder for drivers to swap ends.

i would try stiffening up the front, if your rear is to stiff. or just soffening up the rear.

also, what car is this on>? IRS or swing axle?

4agedub October 26th 2004 03:14

How do you stiffen the fron end more? I have allready got a empi anti roll bar at the front.

We're only allowed to run swing axle.

beetle1303 October 26th 2004 15:12

i dont know much about swingaxles but why dont you try a camber compensator?
Its the flat bar that attaches under the gearbox and has two ends (one on each axle and mounts at the end of it) or something like that
This would prevent your rear wheels from tucking under thus eliminating or at least reducing camber change at your rear wheels
The prob is that your rear wheels go into positive camber during weight transfering (this doesnt assume body roll)

Chris

4agedub October 27th 2004 05:44

Won't a camber compensator lighten the inner rear wheel and make it get wheelspin when I enter a corner?

NO_H2O October 27th 2004 11:02

It should keep the swing-axle from tucking under.

4agedub October 27th 2004 13:11

Has anyone tried the EMPI camber compensator? I can order one through my work for a relatively good price.

beetle1303 October 27th 2004 13:56

I dont think that it will actually lighten the inner rear wheel, since it bolts at the middle and the only think it actually does is to reduce the suspension travel thus reducing camber changes caused by tucking under.

Imagine your car. Then if you press the rear down the wheels will get negative camber ( / \). Now if you lift your car in the air (supported at jack stands) you will see the rear wheels getting positive camber (\ /). If you install a camber compensator you will see much less positive camber

Though if you go with minimum body roll you will need less camber.

If im mistaken on the above please correct me.

Generally positive camber is preffered because of the massive weight transfer to the outside wheel. Dont over do it because from a point and on the actual tyre's patch on the road surface is reduced.

Chris