GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Project Builds (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   My other 1303 GL (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11118)

Steve C February 12th 2011 08:40

2 Attachment(s)
A few more photos of the brake pedal setup.

I moved the brake master cylinder over to the right 30 mm so that I could fit the clutch master next to it.

Nothing was open over the new years break to buy anything decent to make the clutch m/c clevis with so I had make do with what I had.

Steve C February 12th 2011 08:51

3 Attachment(s)
Hi

Fitted some new rotors 930 turbo to my 996 rear brakes that I use on the front. I originally had extreme cross drilled rotors, I'm sure the engineer wouldn't have liked them, these rotors and hubs were originally on the Dak to the Future car.

I've also ran all new soft & hard brake lines. I'm thinking about moving my bake fluid reservoir down lower nearer to master cylinder along with the clutch master, I hate the tube arrangement that RHD bugs got.

Is this anal? I went and ran a torque wrench over all chassis bolts.

Steve

Photo explanation, all the brakes and some of the suspension were on my old yellow bug, the extreme cross drilled rotors when they were on my yellow 1302 bug

Steve C February 12th 2011 18:17

3 Attachment(s)
I lined the engine bay with some house type insulation and covered it with XR6 type insulation which I bought from Repco

Audi radiator fitted with the Subaru RS Liberty inter cooler radiator at the front

Steve C February 12th 2011 18:24

2 Attachment(s)
I cut the chassis fork away so much that I couldn't use the stock E brake cables, I used the 944 cable and hooked them up to a bug E brake lever, I made bracket that I welded to the chassis to secure the 944 cables

Craig S February 12th 2011 21:15

Good to see more of the history of this Beetle up now Steve, I look forward to seeing it in full flight shortly

wrenchnride247 February 13th 2011 00:03

WOW! :shocked: Thats alot of updates all at once. Its looking very nice so far. Keep at it!

volkdent February 13th 2011 05:32

Looking really really nice! Keep us posted!

Jason

NO_H2O February 13th 2011 11:08

Lots of nice work. I still think you RHD guys have it made when it comes time to mount a clutch MC.

aircured February 13th 2011 11:53

Steve, looks awesome, keep the pictures coming. :eek:
Now if I could just get started, I'd be unstopable.... :lmao:

dub_crazee February 13th 2011 14:01

cracking car :D and love the colour choice lol

Steve C February 15th 2011 18:50

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

Thanks for the kind words, still lots to do.

I decided at the beginning of this build to fit early Golf (later Mk1) switch gear and to mimic the wiring layout of the same model Golf with 16 fuses but the blade type.

The ignition switch / wiper & blinker switch housing fitted with a bit of fettling, the wipers feature electric pump activation and variable intermittent wiping and the blinker feature Euro parkers (side lights) i.e. when you leave the blinker on with the motor off the parkers come on, on that side of the car, not sure if this is a good idea or not.

The Golf switch gear feels much more modern as well. I also kept the old lock barrel and door handles from my old yellow bug when I sold the car as I had just fitted Audi lock mechanism to them, these feature reversible keys, as in you cant put the key in back to front, good when your getting old.

The mudguards I'm using are Aeros like I used on my old 1302, they take 911 headlights, I bought these headlights from Design 911 in the UK when the AU$ was OK against the pound.

Fuel system is a Carter lift pump with a Injection Perfection surge tank and a 044 main pump, the main pump is controlled by the factory Subaru boost sensitive pump speed controller, this area needs finishing off in the boot, I had to get the car running meet a local registration deadline.

Steve

Steve C February 15th 2011 18:57

5 Attachment(s)
Hi

I had my friend Westy make up a 3 inch exhaust for me. It has a high flow cat, 3 inch hot dog and dual pass muffler that has a 180 degree bend to turn the gases around again, its reasonably quiet.

Its a pretty trick bit of work and it only takes about 10 minutes to get off.

Steve

effvee March 17th 2011 21:29

100mm forward

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve C (Post 79634)
I had to chop the chassis up a bit to move the G50 forward 100 mm. I used 26 mm Sway away short torsion bars

Ok then, now I know that I just should go for it. About a year ago I bought a rear axle housing I think the guy said it was from a station wagon. I won't need the axle tubes, but I still need the structure for safety reasons. The horns I won't need and I really won't a automatic. Man I am going to have my hands full. So longer axles and no more than 28 degrees on the CVs and I should be ok. Sand sport stated you could get 500 to 1000 turbo horses from a SVX wow. We just bought a house, now I can get started. So much money on the type IV engine. It's a good thing that I have three bugs:cool:

Steve C March 18th 2011 08:50

Hi

Ricola (user on here) did a similar thing to me, but much more well thought out than mine.

Steve

70Turbobug March 19th 2011 06:35

Nice project! Everything is well done,looks great!