GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   VolkSport Käfer Gruppe (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mikey's Ghia Thread... (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7050)

Mikey January 30th 2006 00:42

Mikey's Ghia Thread...

5 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys, after seeing all the build-up threads, I thought I'd start my own. :cool:

I took a big step today. I worked on it for about 10 hours. I got my radiator and fan in from Summit Racing last week. Today was the day to mount it.

I first started by making a braket to hold the radiator. I had a friend of mine bend me up some C-channel. After I cut it and bent it to fit the radiator, I then I added some angle iron to the corners to make it a little stronger. (pic 002) Then I added angle iron cross braces to hold the fan. (pic 004) Because of space reasons, and I wanted to be able to slide the radiator in and out with the fan in place, I mounted the fan infront of the radiator. I made sure to buy a push/pull fan for that reason. My goal today was to get the radiator braket made, and the radiator mounted in the car. At least tack welded. I didn't get that far because I ran into some rust issues. Strangly in the front of Ghias. The two peices aren't welded, they just stuck a gasket in and pushed the two parts together. I went in and pulled the gasket out and added some welds. You can see where they burned though on the last picture. I'm adding a grill I made in the big hole under the front. I just didn't think to stick it in there for the last picture of the night.
I had soo much energy I wanted to keep going untill I had the radiator in, But my body was telling me it had enough. :rolleyes:

yetibone January 30th 2006 13:38

Werd!! Looks like there'll be good airflow to the radiator where you have it.

One humble suggestion based on what I'd experienced in my TR6, you may get better results mounting the fan behind the core instead of in front of it. Even though the fan moves air, the parts themselves actually block natural airflow when running at highway speed. Mount the assembly on the other side of the radiator, and natural airflow won't get impeded.

Keep the updates comming. :agree:

Mikey February 5th 2006 01:08

4 Attachment(s)
I was hard at it today. I worked about an hour each day monday-thursday, then I worked 4 hours friday, and another 10 today. So far I figure I have about 30hrs into getting this radiator installed. It would have been faster but I made sure to fix any rust I found, and prime the places that'll be hard to get to after the braket was installed.

I snapped a few pictures just before running out. :rolleyes: Not the best or steadiest shots, but they kinda show what's going on. It does look better in person.

Let me know what ya'll think. Be kind, this is the first car I've built by my self. :o

Thanks Yeti, I figured that the fan would some what obstruct the air going through the radiator, but I thought that it would make the same resistance in front of the radiator as it would the rear. Feel me yo? :cool:

oasis February 5th 2006 17:23

I have nothing to add but I am enjoying the updates. :)

(FWIW, Summit is not a typical resource for me for my air- or water-cooled VWs but my experience with them has been good.)

Mikey February 5th 2006 22:39

5 Attachment(s)
I was at it again today. I had a local club meeting or it would have been another 10 hour day. :laugh: I got my grill welded in today. I love it, I think it looks great! I had a few people look at it, they agree too.
Now I've got to figure out what to do after the grill is finished.

Let me know what Ya'll think. :)

Thanks Oasis, even encouagement helps. :D

PS... Sorry this isn't on the VKG site. I thought it would get comments faster here. :o

yetibone February 6th 2006 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey
Thanks Yeti, I figured that the fan would some what obstruct the air going through the radiator, but I thought that it would make the same resistance in front of the radiator as it would the rear. Feel me yo? :cool:

Yeeh, dats on mad wax up in tha membrane dog...

:laugh:

My car's radiator is about the size of two encyclopedias! You're right about your's. Fan placement's not a huge concern on that monster. :D

I like how you did the grille below the nose.

oasis February 7th 2006 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by yetibone
I like how you did the grille below the nose.

:agree: Me, too. Looks very natural. :agree:

Rob February 7th 2006 09:15

Hey Mikey,

Glad to see you made the trek back home safely from the great white North :D

Project is looking good !
Are you going to make a shroud to cover the rad on the inside ?

Rob.

Mikey February 7th 2006 18:42

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
Hey Mikey,

Glad to see you made the trek back home safely from the great white North :D

Project is looking good !
Are you going to make a shroud to cover the rad on the inside ?

Rob.

I made it back alright. Only took 11 hours to get back. :rolleyes: Well, 11 hours and a bunch of energy drinks.

Thanks, Yes I will be makeing the radiator area air tight from the rest of the trunk, not sure how I'm gonna do it just yet, But I'd love to be able to see the radiator when I open the hood.

Oasis, Thank you. I figured if I use parts from a volkswagen, they'd look like they were suppose to be there easier. the two big grills are off of a '70 or '71 bug deck lid, and the other smaller grill is off of a late model bug hood. :laugh: Both were free so I can't complain.

I called out to Kennedy and they said that my adaptor is on the way. That might be what I do next. After I find an engine. Not sure...

I just thought I'd throw in a few pictures of what's going to stop this thing. The set up isn't even close to being finished, but it's a work in progress. :cool:

wrenchnride247 February 7th 2006 22:58

Do you still need '87 and later 944 hub's? I should have asked this in the wanted section, but oh well.

Mikey February 7th 2006 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrenchnride247
Do you still need '87 and later 944 hub's? I should have asked this in the wanted section, but oh well.

Yeah, Pm me what you're asking for them. Maybe we can work something out. :)

thanks,

Mikey February 12th 2006 20:57

My weekend update...

4 Attachment(s)
I slowed down a little this weekend, this is the third weekend in a row I've been all out, and it's starting to wear me out. This car, school, and working everyday.

I managed to make a new mount for the front beam. Since I cut out the old one. Sorry no picture, I forgot. :shrug:

I got my engine adaptor in the mail, along with a new set of front disk. I don't have a pic of the adaptor either. I'm really slackin'. But I do have a pic of the disk behind the wheel. :cool:

I also fitted my guages today. I know it's probably over kill just a little. But I had the gauges, so I figured, why not? :laugh: Seeing the gauges finaly mounted in the car was a great feeling. I couldn't stop staring at them. I love my new racing wheel too. ;)

(Left to right)
CHT, Tach, Fuel Level, Speedo, (top) Boost, water temp, (bottom) oil press, and oil temp.

Comments??

yetibone February 12th 2006 21:25

Thats' good stuff!!

After installing the gauges, did you do what I did and sit in the car on a milk crate and make VROOM...VROOM sounds?

Mikey February 12th 2006 21:43

Quote:

Thats' good stuff!!

After installing the gauges, did you do what I did and sit in the car on a milk crate and make VROOM...VROOM sounds?

What? Sounds, not me. :p Well, maybe a few... :laugh:

NO_H2O February 12th 2006 22:50

Quote:

Thats' good stuff!!

You got to wire up the back lights and wait untill dark to do that :laugh: