GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tubular Front Control arms for Superbeetle (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11598)

vw1303 February 12th 2013 17:20

Tubular Front Control arms for Superbeetle

Finally finished my tubular front control arms for my Superbeetle(1303).
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ps0b9c0ad0.jpg
This version allows for 25mm roll centre correction. Made in Chromoly.
Length is adjustable from 0-+50mm wider than stock.
3/4" Chromoly Heim joints at both ends.

Would anyone be interested in a set?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...psae0b1750.jpg

Bug@5speed(US) February 12th 2013 19:11

VW

Very nice, to be honest I had missed the chromoly bit for the ball joint until today.

Is it just bolted into the rose joint, I.e. threaded from below.

Can u snap or provide more info on ur top mounts for ur struts?
Alex

Tim February 13th 2013 10:00

Hi vw1303,

I am interested in a set as I am restoring/modifying my 1303. I have the 944NA spindles and Golf Mk1 coilover struts. Does the ball joint extender fit the 944 spindle?

Tim

vw1303 February 13th 2013 12:19

I'm also running 944 front knuckles. These "ball joint extenders" are 17mm so they will fit your 944 knuckles. I can make them with the standard 15mm as well.
Also you can specificy how much roll centre correction you would like. I tried 50mm but it didn't clear my 15" wheels. Also it seems like some guys are shortening there control arms to help clear big wheels. The overall length of these arms can also be specified in shorter or longer than stock. Another thing is that these arms are 100% bolt on. No modifications necassary.

owdlvr February 13th 2013 13:44

I'd be interested in a set. Would even bring your springs back! ;)

-Dave

cookvw February 14th 2013 00:49

id LOVE a set. how soon can you make them and how much $$?

graham February 14th 2013 01:57

I am interested in a set as well price please inc shipping to the UK

vw1303 February 14th 2013 14:17

Price will be approx. $500CAD. These are made to order: overall length, roll centre correction, and ball joint size can all be specified by the customer. No need to order special ball joints from Germany to run 944 knuckles. This may seem expensive but only slighty more expensive than "new" OEM control arms with bushings and ball joints. These control arms can solve the problem of too much positive camber when running Porsche 944 knuckles.

Please email volksfolks@hotmail.com for any more info.

Thanks

Tim February 15th 2013 05:47

Hi,

Any on car pictures?

Tim

vw1303 February 15th 2013 13:21

Here is a picture installed on the car.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...a.jpg~original

panic February 15th 2013 16:45

Very nice! If I had the dough I would order a set!

Tim February 16th 2013 05:53

Awesome. I have sent you an email.

Tim

Humble February 27th 2013 16:10

You have some more mail sir :)

SuperRSi March 2nd 2013 23:10

Oops sent you a PM and then saw your email...

Wally March 7th 2013 17:05

Is there a weight advantage?

It would have been extra nice if the ball joint extention would have been excentric so you could dial in extra caster...?

SuperRSi March 18th 2013 01:03

Anybody ever hear anything?

vw1303 March 18th 2013 15:02

Hey Guys,

I'm back from vacation. At the moment there is no adjustment for caster but that is a good idea Wally to have it eccentric to dial in some more. I had a little accident at the race track and need to do some rebuilding to my beetle so I won't be able to take any orders for these for a little while. I will keep you guys posted though.

SuperRSi May 27th 2013 17:37

OK time to make some...

SuperRSi July 12th 2013 20:44

Ahemmmmm....

SuperRSi July 27th 2013 20:16

OK guys, I have been talking to vw1303 about fabricating a run of these arms. I have no idea yet of cost, but would guess with low cost fittings $300 and race ends $600. In looking at rod ends the Aurora's units cost between about $20 each to $100 each for race quality ends. We need four each. So that shows you where it starts with cost and options. Could also sell without the ends and you get your own. I would take orders, with non-refundable deposits of 50% and estimate delivery at less than 4 weeks. I need to get my car ready for a show in November so I am in a hurry. If you are serious and would spend the money now, please let me know. All parts will be CNC'd from Chromoly rod stock and Chromoly tube. You will be required to sign a statement prior to shipping that you agree the parts are for racing use only and carry no warranty or liability on my part. I am not planning on this being a standard business deal and figure if I build 3 sets CNC, 10 sets is not an issue. All fabrication will be done by a shop in Albuquerque, New Mexico that builds parts for the Sandia National Labs. The nuke boys. The shops work is flawless. Let me know if interested...

Tim July 29th 2013 00:29

Hi SuperRSI,

I PM'd you.

Thanks
Tim

SuperRSi August 2nd 2013 22:28

Hey Tim, we are working on the CNC program now so will keep everyone posted as we get it ready to start cutting...

Humble August 3rd 2013 13:19

I'll take a set without rod ends, but does this also include the rollcenter fix?

SuperRSi August 3rd 2013 17:15

I hope to only have to do this once so everyone needs to let me know what they want and we will start building at the end of August. I am fine selling the tubes without rod ends. The roll center fix will be for .750 center rod ends. At this point I will probably just build 6 sets and be done. I have three spoken for.

graham August 4th 2013 20:12

Put me down for a set please fellas.

SuperRSi August 4th 2013 21:47

Just so everyone is clear, I do not think this is something that I can sell enough to make it viable to build them all year long. So I will make up some and maybe, but doubt it, just maybe I will make some next year when I get bored and have enough friends here that want a set. I work long hours for most of the year and hope to spend most of my free time finishing two car projects. Commit to me now if you want a set. I will make them, figure out what the cost is and let everyone know. I will charge $50 a set over my cost to mess with it.

And would you all do me a favor and watch LONGMIRE on the A&E network on Monday nights. That's who pays my car habit bills... Good ratings mean Season 3 next year!

Thanks,
Randy

cookvw August 4th 2013 23:46

put me down for a set.

cookvw August 4th 2013 23:49

also let us all know when the deposit is needed and what the final costs are.

SuperRSi August 5th 2013 00:06

I have decided just to have some built and once I know cost to let everyone know. Then I don't hold money and everyone then waits for fabrication etc. Sometimes I get really busy and things turn to poo in my normal life. So easier to keep everyone happy this way. Should start cutting some parts in two weeks.

Tedzbug August 23rd 2013 21:58

I may be up for a set... I'll see how my new job goes over the next few weeks ;)

randyj August 28th 2013 14:22

Hey Randy,

I am interested in a set.
Let us know how much.

Randy

graham July 20th 2015 07:14

Did these ever get made

??

H2OSB July 20th 2015 11:51

If I recall correctly, he re-purposed them for his car when he went further away from stock.

SuperRSi July 21st 2015 19:27

I still have a pile of parts to build some. I have been back to back on TV projects for the last two years so not much time off. I may have some time this fall. I will keep you all posted...

Wally July 23rd 2015 05:57

Still interested as well, TIA Randy.

flat October 7th 2015 02:29

Dont mean to hijack this thread but I'm working on 944 lower control arms (allow 944 spindles to be mounted on 1302/1303 that correct camber issues and uses standard bolt on 944 bj). More details around xmas time :)

cookvw October 7th 2015 21:14

sounds interesting!

SuperRSi December 3rd 2015 23:13

Damn I wish anyone else would have built these. But now I am working on a test set after seeing a set of Porsche 944 aftermarket arms. I contacted them and purchased the complete monoball end of their arms. $350 a set sounded pretty high, but when I got them they are beautifully made. Not something I want to build as a one off, or ten off. My plan is to do something similar to Ricola on his last post. The difference is I want to tie together the two blocks that bolt to the sway bar mount and make them double shear at the front. Hopefully I can get this done soon.

The 944 arms:
http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...c.png~original

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/....jpeg~original

H2OSB December 4th 2015 01:50

I would totally pull the trigger if something could be made that was bolt on, or nearly so. Why couldn't something be created that uses the factory mounting point as a location to bolt a mount to? Say, some two piece design that passes over and under the hammer head neck between the two factory control arm mounting points, then run a bolt through the new mounts and through the factory mount to lock it all together? Does this make sense? Once you're securely attached to the car, you can have any number of configurations to connect some kind of A-arm.

SuperRSi December 4th 2015 03:04

I'll be working on it. Trying to push a finished Manx out the door and get the Bug as a roller before I go back to work and it all sits for months...