GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   VolkSport Käfer Gruppe (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Lodging confirmation (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4254)

zen May 2nd 2004 13:00

Lodging confirmation

need confirmation on who is interested in staying the night in Helen so i can decide if i should try to arrange a hosting hotel for us. not sure how good i can do, but am willing to try. it would be your basic Days Inn or something. shooting for $30-$50 a night.

although i only live 55 miles from there, i am putting in a vote for a room because i would like to be able to hangout there late as a club and not have to drive home.

boygenius May 2nd 2004 13:37

I'm in for the hotel. I'm 99.99999% sure that I can go but I still don't know how I'm going to get there. I will either rent a car because I don't trust my daily driver or I will buy a used sport bike and haul some a$$ up 75 to Georgia. :D I can make it in 5 hours. :eek:

vujade May 3rd 2004 13:59

Ill be going by myself or possibly with my brother.

jhelgesen May 4th 2004 10:56

I'd need a room, but haven't confirmed I can make the trip yet.

Panelfantastic May 4th 2004 19:12

Ditto on the room but ditto on the non-confirmed trip :(

zen May 5th 2004 17:49

let me know as soon as you can confirm. i may just try to get something for 6 rooms or so. it will be this weekend though. slammed right now (stupid virus writers).

Mikey 1972GL May 5th 2004 23:24

If it wouldn't be tooo much trouble, would you kindly put me down for a room. I've slept in my vw before, but since I have the money now :laugh: I'd like a room.

Thanks,
Mike

zen May 6th 2004 08:05

i won't be reserving rooms. i am just going to see if i can get us a block rate. once i do, i will let everyone know the price and you will need to make your own reservation. i will probably hunt a place down this weekend.

zen May 10th 2004 23:08

i've only had the chance to make one call so far. days inn...$75 is the best deal they could give us due to it being a saturday night or so they claim. :eek: ouch. will be making some more phone calls.

boygenius May 24th 2004 00:46

Any luck with the hotel situation yet...

I might have to bail because of some things that may come up. I don't know but I'm 50% sure I'm still going...

jhelgesen May 28th 2004 15:21

Any new word on hotel rooms yet?

The family and I will need a place to crash Friday night too, anything near the show?

Mikey 1972GL May 28th 2004 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhelgesen
Any new word on hotel rooms yet?

The family and I will need a place to crash Friday night too, anything near the show?

I'll need a place to sleep too on Friday night, and something by the show would be nice. :)

Mike

NO_H2O May 28th 2004 21:37

I live on the south side of town and don't know much about that area. Zen might know more about the area.
Try the show website for some info.
http://atlantavw.freeservers.com/hea...xie/index.html

Mikey 1972GL May 31st 2004 18:15

News

Any news about the beds? I was just wondering since it's getting kinda close. And it will be here before you know it.

Mike

zen May 31st 2004 18:19

sorry, i have been out of town. i would recommend the same as Dave for Friday night. take advantage of the rate John negociated and that will be close to the show. as for saturday, i have not been able to do any better on rates thus far. here is what i have...$79 for the night or $67.50 if you are a AAA member. before i confirm anything with the hotel, is anyone going to be in for that? i was hoping to do better, but anything in Helen tends to be pretty steep. the only other alternative i can think of is maybe seeing if the HoD hotel being used Friday will extend the offer for Saturday.

one other thought is to get a hotel in cleveland which is about 5 miles from Helen and the rates drop to around $50-$60. too far to stumble back from the German bars though.

thoughts?

Mikey 1972GL May 31st 2004 18:26

Instant responce, on the ball :agree:

the AAA discount is cool, since I have AAA. but $67.50 :eek:

Also I like the idea of carrying the "HoD show" rate over to saturday, IF that can be arranged, But my thought is, what if there hotel is booked up. any suggestions on where to go if that happens?
If I was going alone, I wouldn't sleep, but I'm sure my friend will want some sleep.

I like the Clevland idea. the prices are more to my liking. Another thought since I'm not old enough to drink, I could be a designated driver. Just a thought. :rolleyes: my friend can drive to, but she can't drive a standard. :laugh:

Mike

boygenius May 31st 2004 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey 1972GL
Another thought since I'm not old enough to drink, I could be a designated driver. Just a thought.

Mike

That is mighty upstanding of you...

I will know if I can still go by the 3rd or the 4th of June...

kenfyoozed June 2nd 2004 10:40

sorry guys, but im going to have to bail out on this trip. My house is under renovation by ME and the baby will be here sooner than i think, plus my mother is moving in with us for a while. Lots of family crap to deal with, so i have to step up to the plate. Take plenty of pictures so i can feel like i was there. :bawling:

NO_H2O June 2nd 2004 12:17

Sorry to hear you will have to miss this outing,,,,,,but a man's got-a do what a man's got-a do. Good luck with your renovations.

Mikey 1972GL June 2nd 2004 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenfyoozed
sorry guys, but im going to have to bail out on this trip. My house is under renovation by ME and the baby will be here sooner than i think, plus my mother is moving in with us for a while. Lots of family crap to deal with, so i have to step up to the plate. Take plenty of pictures so i can feel like i was there. :bawling:

Sorry man, but I'll take a lot of pictures to help you out too. My car got rear ended and I will be at the show even If the girl's insurance company pays for a rent-a-car and good luck on the renovations. :agree:

jhelgesen June 2nd 2004 13:45

Quote:

Sorry man, but I'll take a lot of pictures to help you out too. My car got rear ended and I will be at the show even If the girl's insurance company pays for a rent-a-car and good luck on the renovations. :agree:

I hope you are bringing a rent-a-truck :laugh:

zen June 2nd 2004 20:51

sorry to hear you can't make it neil. that sucks. family first though. we are the type of family you can afford to blow off. :D

so what's the verdict from the rest of you guys on lodging. i will need to get something confirmed with a hotel so you can call in your reservations. last option is everyone for themselves, but it would be nice if everyone can stay at the same place. i believe no_h20 and i are going to split a room. may be a good option for others if you can buddy up (just no good way to put that).

jhelgesen June 2nd 2004 21:08

Sign us up, we're coming.

I guess there is info on HoD lodging off the show site?

boygenius June 2nd 2004 21:57

I should know by thursday if I can go or not. I want to go but family first. :)

Mikey 1972GL June 2nd 2004 23:14

I wouldn't mind spliting a room with someone. I'm coming with a friend of mine, so I'll have to ask her what she thinks. It will help keep cost down for my whole trip. If someone would like to team up on a room, just contact me somehow.... email, post here, private message... and if I don't talk to my friend before then, I'll tell her what the plans are, and if she likes it okay, if she doesn't she can stay home. That may sound mean, but if I commit to going in on half for a room, I'm not going to back out if she doesn't like it.

Mike

boygenius June 2nd 2004 23:20

If I can still go I will split a room with someone. I slept on the floor in the hotel room in my sleeping bag for the last show. As long as I can sleep I really don't care where it is... :laugh:

Mikey 1972GL June 3rd 2004 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by boygenius
If I can still go I will split a room with someone. I slept on the floor in the hotel room in my sleeping bag for the last show. As long as I can sleep I really don't care where it is... :laugh:

hmmm.... that's a good idea. Wanna pitch a tent in a room with me and my friend? or just get a room with 2 beds? :agree: I will be there, no matter what, and if by some unknown chance I'm not, I'll pay for half of the room. :D But I have a lot ridding on me getting there, so I doubt anything can stop me.

Mike

boygenius June 3rd 2004 01:03

Quote:

hmmm.... that's a good idea. Wanna pitch a tent in a room with me and my friend? or just get a room with 2 beds? :agree:
Mike

I will know if I can still go by Thursday. If I can go I will split a room with you.

BTW. I slept in the sleeping bag because the other two people I was rooming with :sleep: snored, so I was trying to get away to peace and quiet on the floor.

Mikey 1972GL June 3rd 2004 01:13

Quote:

I will know if I can still go by Thursday. If I can go I will split a room with you.

That's cool, roomate. :laugh: I'll tell my friend when I see her. Hope you can get to go. It would be nice to have someone to BS with about vws. Germanlook vws.

Quote:

BTW. I slept in the sleeping bag because the other two people I was rooming with :sleep: snored, so I was trying to get away to peace and quiet on the floor.

I'm sure i don't snore, and if she does, I'll elbo her in the ribs for you ;) but if that happens, you don't know anything about it. I didn't plan it. shhhh....

Mike

boygenius June 3rd 2004 01:16

COOL.... :cool:

Mikey 1972GL June 3rd 2004 01:20

Oh yeah, and my new friends, can me my old friend. :o Almost forgot about that.

Mike

zen June 3rd 2004 18:50

OK. Here's the scoop on rooms. I am recommending:

Econo Lodge
749 BRUCKEN STRASSE
HELEN, GA
(706) 878-2141

I spoke with the hotel and if you want to call them to book a room, mention the "VKG event" and they have a rate of $79.99/night or 10% off for AAA. You can probably get as good or better rates in some cases via Orbitz, Hotels.com and the likes. So feel free to book there as well.

I have never stayed at this hotel (I do cabins for whole weekends anytime I have been up there) so I can not vouch for it. If I am able to go buy next week when picking up my engine from Jake's, I will and report back. 24hr cancellation policy with them.

Please post what you do here so we know. It will be cool having everyone at one place to hang and extra eyes on the cars (even if everything is a little blurry).

Mikey 1972GL June 3rd 2004 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by zen
OK. Here's the scoop on rooms. I am recommending:

Econo Lodge
749 BRUCKEN STRASSE
HELEN, GA
(706) 878-2141

I spoke with the hotel and if you want to call them to book a room, mention the "VKG event" and they have a rate of $79.99/night or 10% off for AAA. You can probably get as good or better rates in some cases via Orbitz, Hotels.com and the likes. So feel free to book there as well.

I have never stayed at this hotel (I do cabins for whole weekends anytime I have been up there) so I can not vouch for it. If I am able to go buy next week when picking up my engine from Jake's, I will and report back. 24hr cancellation policy with them.

Please post what you do here so we know. It will be cool having everyone at one place to hang and extra eyes on the cars (even if everything is a little blurry).

That's a cool deal, I got AAA, but I got on hotels.com and didin't find anything with a good price. $50 or less. I'm real cheap but a $70 room for $35, I like that. More money for parts, or food. whichever I decide is more important... and most of us staying at the same hotel, I like that too. I don't like being the only one that is into the German Look. Also can't wait for your review of the place. I'm real opinionated, sorry. :(

Mike

jhelgesen June 4th 2004 08:42

Well, got my room. Best be was to call the hotel and mention the club.

Orbitz said 75 to start, then jumped to 90 when I tried to book it.

Hotels.com said 80 for senior rate, all else was 90 and 95.

Thanks for handling this Zen.

I'll be hauling a 911 shell over for a guy, so I'll have an empty trailer behind the truck, should be fun to park up there.

zen June 4th 2004 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhelgesen
Hotels.com said 80 for senior rate.

well you qualify don't you. :D

so you are not driving the 912-6???? bummer. :bawling:

jhelgesen June 4th 2004 09:09

Lots of things. Mainly the wife didn't want to drive the truck with the trailer behind with me in the 912-6.

I was just going to bring the truck loaded with parts, but now that I have a car to deliver, I can bring even more parts to sell. Hope people are bringing some $$ with them to the show. I have plenty of t4 and t1 parts to unload. I'll be bringing a collection of fenders and hoods with me too.

I keep finding parts too, found another set or two of 1.7 rockers and a few more dizzy's last night.

I'm gonna start laying out parts this weekend, I'll see if I can post some pics.

Mikey 1972GL June 4th 2004 23:17

Quote:

I should know by thursday if I can go or not. I want to go but family first. :)

Is that 2 days before the show or a week and 2 days? Not much going on around here, so I thought I'd ask just to be sure. :rolleyes:

Mike

boygenius June 5th 2004 18:07

Quote:

Is that 2 days before the show or a week and 2 days? Not much going on around here, so I thought I'd ask just to be sure. :rolleyes:

Mike

Change of plans once again... I will not know if I can go untill the 9th of this month...

Mikey 1972GL June 5th 2004 18:23

Quote:

Change of plans once again... I will not know if I can go untill the 9th of this month...

That's cool, if we split a room. Then I'll worry about booking a room, if not. I'll just wing it, and hope to get a room. :rolleyes:

Mike

yellow73 June 6th 2004 21:50

Zen,
Thanks for setting this up. I plan to be there and will probably want a room rather than cruising home late on Saturday. I will book it this week. Looking forward to it.