GermanLook Forums

GermanLook Forums (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/index.php)
-   Engines (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   180hp 1.8t in Bug (https://www.germanlook.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4697)

volkdent August 9th 2004 02:15

180hp 1.8t in Bug

Finally, its in. Next up the structural frame to handle the forces it'll be putting out.

Jason

http://www.geocities.com/volkdent/Engine_In.html

boygenius August 9th 2004 02:53

WOW!!! That is way cool looking. How did you solve the axle problem. How are you going to rig up shift linkage or is it automatic. What are you going to do with all that space behind the fire wall. :D

Rob August 9th 2004 11:18

Very cool.
I'd be very interested in seeing how you are going to improve the structure
around the engine...might be 'borrowing' some ideas from you ;)

Rob.

Kataplun August 9th 2004 11:41

oh great the link dosent work for me :(

volkdent August 9th 2004 14:31

Axle will be a shortened stock MkIII version. Eventually I'm thinking O2M six speed, then I'll need custom axles. I'm using Porsche Boxter linkage for the shifter, it still has some kinks to get worked out. For the extra space, can you say "trunk!" or Boot if your from over the pond. Some space will be taken up by the exhaust, but I'll have quite a bit left over. Kataplun, click on Volkdent in the corner then look at volkdents homepage, then 1.8tconversion.

Jason

zen August 9th 2004 15:05

that's pretty sick...and you may be too. :D

nice work!!!!!!! :agree:

SuperRSi August 9th 2004 20:41

Wow, that is a great installation. I will be curious how you will contain that beast with reinforcement. Looks nice, when do the rides start? You sure have a great place to start as far as turning up the wick also. 250hp is no problem for the engine. What are you doing to the chassis to take it?

Thanks,

Randy

volkdent August 10th 2004 17:06

I'm going to use 1.5" round, 2" square, and 1 x 2" rectangular tubing. One of the major tie-ins to the stock chassis will be two 5/8" U bolts that will go around the torsion bar housing. Other points for pickup to the chassis will be frame rails I've fabricated that extend the length of the pan just below where all the bolts hold the body and pan together. This is 1x2" rectangular tubing with holes drilled into it to allow the use of Allen head bolts in the standard body/pan bolt locations. There will also be a crossbrace between the two frame rails that will be just about where the front of the stock rear seat extends. I'm going to mock the whole thing up in ABS plastic pipe, I'll take some pics then to get feedback from anyone who has a mind for this sort of thing.

Jason

volkdent August 18th 2004 01:32

Got a 3" GHL downpipe in. It will ned plenty of modification, but should work really well. There is actually a factory cutout in the middle of the rear apron that will work perfectly for this monster.

http://www.geocities.com/volkdent/Engine_In.html

volkdent September 1st 2004 01:24

Got my fuel pump kit from EIP Tuning today. Should work out really well. It's Bosch, and it looks like the one on my MkII! Also got a 1.8t expansion tank. It's amazing that I can get these parts at my door for much less than driving down to the dealership. Also making some serious progress on the design of the superstructure, thanks to Bob in Aussieland.

NYBugman1972 September 1st 2004 13:41

Man, that is cool! :eek:

Did you get it out of a wrecked GLI, 337 or 20AE? They're the only ones I know of with the 1.8t and a 6-speed.

What are your plans for the exhaust? Any plans to mod the engine?

Looks like one heck of a project. Good luck with it :agree:

volkdent September 1st 2004 18:21

It's from a standard 2002 Jetta 1.8t. The tranny is 02A with a bolt kit, but I'll be upgrading to the 6 speed O2M you mentioned eventually. It will stay stock till all the kinks are worked out, then will slowly be built up to whatever feels comfortable, maybe in the 280-300hp range. As it sits, if I end up with an 1800lb car, with the stock motor this thing will do 0-60 under 5 seconds, so I'm not sure how much power will end up just being scary. I'm thinking APR Stage III setup, but we'll see. Exhaust will be a custom 3" based on a stainless GHL downpipe and cat. I'm thinking that 2 3" pipes sticking out of the stock location might be kind of sic.

Jason

yellow73 September 1st 2004 21:17

Just when you think you have seen it all...this should be wicked and the weight distribution should be great too.

volkdent October 4th 2004 21:19

I've finally decided on a plan for the superstructure. It took many hours of head scratching, but I like it a lot. It will be composed of 2 major parts, one under the car, one inside the car, and then a roll cage and crossbraces will be bolted to it. AND I get to use my tubing bender, so that will be fun. I had a change of mind this weekend on the suspension. I decided awhile ago to go with the stock strut type setup, but was talking to KW Suspensions about building a shorty version so I wouldn't have to cut strut mounting holes through the inner fender well. It was a pain in the butt, so I decided just to go with the Variant III KWs and cut the hole. With the shorty version I was worried I wouldn't have enough travel, now I'll have plenty. So they are ordered up, got some of the high grade nuts I need, and soon I'll be warming up the MIG!

Jason

vdubvr6 October 4th 2004 22:11

:eek: that **** is awsome!! we all need more pics of the progress man!! :bowdown: :cool: