View Single Post
Old March 28th 2003, 19:13
Superman

Okay, I have measured the springs and the Super is 4 5/8" (117mm) and the 944 is 4 13/16" (122mm). This small, but important, difference is about 5mm [these numbers were rounded up to the nearest whole number].

I still feel it is not wise to use the 944 strut housing, especially when the Super housing will bolt to the 944 spindle (not Turbo). This small space could cause the spring to pop off the strut all together while driving. Also, the Super spring will not seat into the 944 strut's notch which helps to stop the spring from moving when turning the steering wheel.

While I had the tape measure out I also got the numbers for the strut bearing hole in the body for late and early Supers. The hole in the late car is 95mm and the early is 84mm. Thus you can see how an early bearing would physically fit into the late hole, and although the bolt pattern is the same, I wouldn't feel comfortable with the 11mm difference. However, yes it is true that the early strut bearing mount will bolt on the late strut and vice-versa but these do not interchange in the body.

Now, with all the above said, [to SprintStar] I understand that the reasoning for your investigation was to use the 944 Turbo strut so that it would bolt to the Turbo spindle and then you would use the Super spring and strut bearing mount (as you had done with your 944NA brake conversion). So yes, you could do that and bolt it all up and in your mind it would be a "bolt on" and "easy" but that would be with a 5mm gap on the springs and I still stress that this is very unsafe and that a few millimeters on a spring or balljoint may not seem much to you but with suspension components it means a lot!!!