View Single Post
Old June 25th 2003, 09:27

I hope I am not violating any rules posting to this group ... uh, gruppe. Mein Deutsch ist nicht gut.

I love the Internet. I feel a need for my books and magazines, too.

A few years ago, I was researching Things, Karmann Ghias, and Type 4s. I was frustrated with the general lack of coverage the US magazines gave these cars. The abundance of Beetle articles -- Cal-Look this, Resto-Cal that, The Inch Pincher regurgitated for the thousandth time here, Sano there -- I still don't know what Sano is -- actually made me disinterested in a Beetle of any sort.

After all of the fact finding, I ended up buying a Cabrio to satisfy my convertible craving and a Golf for my wife as finding a suitable 411 or 412 for her was too daunting.

There were times I was going to let my subscriptions run out without renewal.

Ironically, one of the US magazines had an article on the different "looks" in the Beetle scene. The little blurb on the German Look changed my thought patterns on Beetles completely. The GL became my choice (over a Fox wagon believe it or not) of a high performance car.

(My cars were always practical and never modified. The years of not having a 'vert are over; and unless I die too soon, I will have my high performance car, too.)

I believe all of the above opinions coincide with mine. Why have a picture of a Passat and not of a Super Beetle? Nevertheless, there was also an article -- albeit too short of one -- on the Swedish Look 1302. The magazines are slowly including Supers and GLs. I renewed again ... for one more year again. I'm hoping the trend will continue.

By the way, why is a Cal-Look Beetle from Alabama still Cal-Look but a German Look 1302 from Sweden called a Swedish Looker? Hmmm.

-René