View Single Post
Old November 21st 2003, 01:48

I've been a bug nut before I even knew it.

My mom had a bug, when I was a kid, (around 7 or 8) and she hated it! I always loved getting in there, and taking grip of the dash handle...humming along with that very distictive fweem of solid lifters...good times!

Anyway, kind got lost along the way though junior high, my friends were into hondas and lowriders, and I was intrested because they were cars, but I could tell from instinct that's wasnt quite what I was into.

Then, my freshman year in high school, my friend had a 72 super for sale, and I just KNEW I needed that car!! I also noticed that some bugs had a long skinny hood, and others had a squished front end, that stood out to me for some reason...i liked it better (this of course, ended up being a Super...why is it "super", i remember thinking ) I never even looked at a bug mag by this time, but the first time I went to look at it, I was hooked!! I too was going with the cal-look...t-bars, 8-spokes, etc...cuz this was like...a standard that you always see in the mags. I just kept reading and reading about bugs, getting catalogs mailed to me all the time...

Later, I moved to CA with my girlfriend, and bought a 71...which I still have, but its now in Idaho at my moms with a dropped valve, and the cost to get it here would be greater than getting another bug here in CA, so thats what I'm doin!! I found another 71 for $800, which I'm going to go see this weekend...

Ne way...the GL look got me when I first saw BRENS bug (summer of 00), with 16" Konigs...SOOOO different!!!! That started it all.

Now im 21, full time student, and still work 35+ hours, living on my own in the most expensive state to live in....without a bug to work on, I just might go nutz, but as soon as I get this car (lets hope its a good project) I'll get my FIX!!!

As for what keeps me going?? Innovation/originality says it all....that and I can't see my self in ANY other kind of car....its just me!!! I think of VWs EVERYDAY, while at work, eat, school! etc....it keeps me up at night!! Thinking of ideas, etc etc etc.....jezz...I'm hooked!!