Thread: LED lit gauges
View Single Post
Old September 10th 2004, 00:48

I have a update for all you LED Heads(bad joke, I know). I finally got the correct Regulator and installed, I modified the original circuit to power the LEDs in parrallel as opposed to strings of 3. VW and Porsche power their incadesent bulbs in parrallel so that makes the most sence to do it that way. So far I have a half hour of running time, 11 UV LEDs in parrallel, constant 30mA, 16vdc input, and when I drop the input to 12vdc the current stays exactly the same. The only down side I can see is the more LEDs I add the more current it draws, so I have to adjust the poteniometer as I add and subtract LEDs.
I'm going to borrow a digi-cam this weekend and hopefully figure out how to photograph the color/guage combos for the tech article. I'll also draw up a schematic of the circuit for all you Do It Yourselfers, and a link to a resister calculator for those that are content with using just resistors.
For now I'm going to leave the LEDs on for a life test over night just to make sure nothing gets too hot and smokes. I am really happy with the results. Just to give you an idea of the costs, I built the limiter circuit for under 5 bucks. R&D costs are another story, I know I smoked over 30 dollars worth of LEDs.

Nick