View Single Post
Old October 31st 2002, 10:13

I got some info online about the NJ test procedures, I am also in the process of trying to speak with someone, "wish me luck" on the matter of engine swapping.. I have had to renew a couple of my vehicles already and the test is pretty tough. From what I remember they did a visual of exhaust, I gues to look for cracks in piping, check a bunch of safety stuff, then put it on the dyno to check the gases.. Anyone have experience with this sort of testing on their bugs or VW and have success passing???
I figure if I can do swap getting the engine to run within allowable parameters should be to hard.. Considering that I am only looking for a mildly tuned engine which ever way I go..

Here is a paragram from there webpage::

Inspection program details

To meet state and federal safety standards, MVS tests steering, suspension, horn, wipers, window glazing, lights, direction signals, red rear lights, mirrors, brakes and hazard signals and the catalytic converter.

To meet federal Clean Air Act standards MVS inspects the vehicle's emissions by a licensed inspector.

The test uses a dynamometer that allows the car to accelerate and the tires to spin without the vehicle actually moving. The inspector than tests the emissions with a probe as s/he accelerates the engine to 15 mph. A computer analyzes the emissions to reflect the car's make and model.

Thanks
Loaf