Thread: April meet?
View Single Post
Old March 30th 2005, 23:47

While my car is running, the oil always checks in at least half full. What are the the oil levels supposed to look like in a drysump setup?
When i'm cold, the oil level rises in the motor, and the tank gets really low. When the motor is hot, the tank is almost full, and the motor is like half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep
Don't you want to know the temp as the oil exits the scavange side of the pump, before the oil cooler ? I would think this is the hottest oil temp location.

Sandeep
I figure as long as the temp of the oil in the case is good, everything else is fine. If the temp sensor is at the oil before it circulates through the motor's oil galley's, all the crank journals, and other surfaces, you'll never know if you have problem, because your cooler and other stuff will bring back the temp. Say, you have excess blowby or the bearings are starting to get tight you figure that everthing is ok because the temp going in is fine. But, coming out it could be stupid hot boiling over getting real thin, so now your oblivious to what the oil is like after it has been "worked".

Could be wrong but it makes sense to me.

This is how i have everything plumbed:

tank-> straight into inlet of pump unobstructed->which goes into motor->out of motor into second stage of pump-> out the pump to the front of the car-> into the oil cooler->back to the rear shelf-> into filter -> into tank

all with 3/4 hose/pipe.

Last edited by petevw; March 30th 2005 at 23:52.