View Single Post
Old July 7th 2005, 21:49

One small problem with your offset to backspacing calculation:
"offset=backspacing-centerline"

The nominal width of a rim is from the mounting bead to mounting bead. So on a 8.5"J rim, if you actually measured it with a tape you'd see that it'll probably by about 9.25-9.5" in width. There is a lip on wheels that is not included in width dimensions of wheel, and it varies with wheel manufacturers. Typically, experience tells me that the lip is about 3/8" to 1/2" per side of wheel.

Here's what I recommend for the front. Assuming you have a 1302 Super (3 bolt strut), the 1303 is another can of worms.

I'll use my car as a baseline, 17x7et42 (still for sale), 215/40 tires, stock disk brakes (ehhw..stock. sold now), .12" spacer, crx coils. I have no issues with fender rubbing (stock fenders) or coil spring interference (a good .38-.5" clearance). I have some problems with the tire hitting the body cup in the top of the fender (where the strut goes). This only happens when I set the struts really low, am fully loaded (I'm a big bone-ded kinda fella) and hit sizable bumps on the road. If I'm loaded up for a long run or something, I switch to 1/4" spacers. I had 205 tires before and never had the problem. I have a very good turning circle and with readjusted steering stops I don't have any tire rubbing in 3-pointers. The daily ride is an ol' Honda civic, and the steering capabilities are similar. No comlaints.

Let's put the inside of your wheel to the same place as mine. Since your wheel is 1.5" wider, the inside of the wheel will be .75" further in. Also, you have a 10mm deeper offset (.39"). So to put the inside edge of the wheel/tire to where I am, you need to increase your brake offset by .39 + .75 = 1.14. Now, a little bit of a spacer (.25) to prevent strut-cup interference, and the total offset required at the wheel is 1.39". The outside of your wheel will move out accordingly. So, you need a 2" wider fender will still allow you to tuck, and you'll need an offset increase of 1.39" (or so) at the brakes.

As for the bearings, there is very little loading on the front of these cars. Some tough guys can pick up bugs from the bumper. You may have to check and service the bearings more often, but we all check/grease them like we're supposed to; semi-annually, RIGHT? I feel like Jerry's mechanic on Seinfeld sometimes....

Lanner