View Single Post
Old October 6th 2005, 01:17

I was grinding some metal bar on the bench grinder. The metal caught and took my fingers in with it. There is still a pie shaped scar on the side of my left index finger, which, incidently, was also slammed in a car door and ripped the nail off. It's my more abused finger, but it still works just fine.

The bad story:

I worked repairing pallets at a cement factory at one point in my life. We used a nail gun. I was the nailer that day. A friends father was working there as well. He wasn't wearing safety glasses, he was bend over at eye level at the same time one of my nails hit a knot in the wood, exploded, and a piece went into his eye and blinded him.

It gets worse, that was like 17 years ago. Just about a month ago I get a call from my mom. He still works at the same cement factory. He goes into this machine that I guess mixes everything up. I imagine a large chamber full of some sort of spinning, grinding spatulas or something. Anyway, each employee has a lock and a key. Before they work on equipment, you are supposed to lock out the power switch for that machine with your lock so it can't be turned on. You know what happens next. A guy comes back from lunch, there is no lock on the switch, he turns it on, my friends dad is killed instantly.

Always use the safety features! He didn't regularily enough that one of the owners once told my mom something would happen to him someday. It did.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S