View Single Post
Old October 26th 2005, 01:46

Cool Here's my GL '52 Split story..........

GL'ing a Split has come up in recent conversations around here, sometimes refering to Alex's '52 Split. So, here's my story:

When i finished building my NA 2332 '72 super, i told myself i'd never do it again. It was alot of time and money.

Then a few months later, i got the call from Alex, asking if i was interested in buying it. I wasn't at first and tried talking him out of it. I was successful on two occasions during that year. Well the 3rd time around, i gave him a offer (was low and it was all i could afford), i thought i had talked him out of it again, but we all saw it on the Samba that night. A couple days later he notified me that he had a buyer in France and was going to sell.

Well, then we had a really LONG conversation....... I couldn't see it go overseas, I knew that this car was really special and needed to be finished. So i ignored the little voice inside, and went ALL IN! We then agreed on some sort of payment plan, 'cause it was WAY more than i could afford. Was purely a impulse buy. Needless to say i was broke for a long while.

Originally i was going to take the motor out of the super. But then figured this Split needed to be a monster. So I decided this 2332 needed to be turbo'd! Big horsepower, for a special car.

Here's the plan: I will be taking the Super down to Florida for the VKG Dyno Day & GermanLook.com Meet & Greet. If all goes well, and it doesn't blow up on the Dyno, the super will be parked at a friends house/shop for the winter. With my double garage available, i can FINALLY start putting the Split together. I hope to get it done for next summer.

I always catch myself thinking, is it worth it? :shrug: At the end of the day, they are still VW bugs. I could be pushing a 993 turbo/M5/M3/E55/S4/STI down the road with what i've sunk into these 2 bugs over the years. No problems, daily drivers, always starts, and no headaches. I could always get my wrenching fix, by Karting again. Worth it? I don't know.

What do you guys think?

here's some pics:

Last edited by petevw; November 9th 2005 at 13:16.