View Single Post
Old November 9th 2005, 09:32

I ve seen some watercooled beetles with their rads up front, in real life and many owners are unhappy because his car is running a bit hot or even overheating. This may sound funny but its not only the natural air flow and cold air that is needed. Fitting the rad in front and closing it inside a box is part of the equasion, but remeber that you must provide the rad with enough back spacing in order to allow the hot air to escape ( something many times overlooked). If you make a box big enough just for the rad, trying to lose the less possible space, you will dissrupt the air flow and the rad will not work...

the best thing that comes to my mind would be a rad tilted backwards (top towards the back) with a cover that would be tilted forward. Also try to make a tunnel at the rad entrance going up to the body work. This would improve air velocity and air path thus improving the air flow to the rad. Race cars use a tunnel with a smaller area entrance and gradually the tunnel gets bigger until it reaches the rad. Next you should find a good place for the back tunnel outlet. The best ive seen was a 1303 with vents on its bonnet like a lotus elise/exige.

I would like the Idea of to smaller rads, one on each fender well but with the addition of either louvres or something like that to decrease lift

Sorry for the long reply

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL