View Single Post
Old October 8th 2006, 02:33

Ok so by its very nature the McPhearson strut assembly will toe in or out as it travels up and down respectivly. This is part of its very design as the distance between where the tie rod joins the wheel and the steering rack gets longer or shorter through the arc. While this distance changes the tie rods cannot as their lengths are fixed. It is a matter of deciding how much toe in and toe out is acceptable.

Here is the math on the suspension mod so far as the travel arc. The original lower control arm is 21 inches from pivot point to the middel of the ball joint. The A arm is 13 inches from pivot points to middel of ball joint. This is a diffrence of 8 inches. The folowing diargam while basic shows what I am seeing for this mod.

The red arc shows the original control arm travel arc.

The black arc shows the A arms travel arc.

The red line shows both the long arm and the shorter A arm. The black dot is the point of demarkation.

The gray lines show the max travel and angel of the original control arm.

The blue lines show the max travel and angel of the A arm.

The two arcs over lap in the range of the suspension travel enough to keep the toe in and out within acceptable ranges.

So far the largest change is the amount negative camber the wheel will gain in hard cornering or when the suspension bottoms and the amount positive camber the wheel will gain when the suspesion reaches full drop. This is due to the sharper angels the A arm reaches.

I may need to add at least 4 inches to the A arm to minimize these effects.

I am not planning to use this car as a racer or a competition car. As long as it handels well I will be happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suspension travel.JPG (14.9 KB, 133 views)
Pirate VW Services is looking for weber IDF and IDA carbs "to far gone to repair". We are also looking for 74 Super Beetle and later controll arms that are to badley bent to use or repair. PM for details.

Sevice with a yarrhhhh!

Last edited by The Pirate; October 8th 2006 at 02:38.