View Single Post
Old December 28th 2002, 18:31
Administrator

Question Oil cooling system design and suggestions

Hi all,

I've got the engine installed, and am now looking to purchase the parts for my oil cooling system. The app is stock 914 2.0 into a bug, with BAS exhaust, FAT Porsche cooling and 44 IDF's. Weekend circuit track racer and daily driver ... future 2270cc.

I've got an oil cooler adapter that fits over the stock T4 oil cooler location, and provides an entry and exit from the block. The stock oil filter is going to be left in the stock location, unless I need to change it.

Here's what my proposed design includes:

1. 180 deg oil thermostat (mechanical) that stays partially open to keep the system full of oil. This will open up at 180 degrees to let oil flow to the cooler. Below 180 degrees, it will be shut and reroute oil back to the block. The reasoning is this will let the oil get up to operating temps, I hope.

2. 180 degree inline fan switch. This will turn on the fan on the cooler at 180 degrees. This will help limit the oil temps after reaching operating temps, I hope.

3. Mesa Cool oil cooler. I'm unsure of the size here. 48 plate, 72 plate or 96 plate ?

4. Appropriate size fan. If I get the 96 plate cooler, I can get it as a kit with the fan.

5. 1/2" ID oil hose with appropriate fittings.

6. NACA ducts to channel ambient air to the fans. I'm thinking of mounting the ducts on the underside of the car so I don't have to mess with the rear quarter windows. I saw this mod on the net. I'll try and find the pics.

So, what do you think ? I'm unsure of the cooler size at this point. If I mount the cooler/fan under the rear parcel tray, I've heard that hot air won't have a chance to escape. Can I combat this by ducting air from the NACA ducts to the fans ? I think I can but maybe someone else has some ideas ?

Comments ?

Thanks

Sandeep