View Single Post
Old May 21st 2007, 13:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdevotee View Post
I don't suppose you would just trust me if I said, as an engineer, that everything is a compromise.

To wit, the aerodynamics of the McLaren were a comprimise with the cooling of the car. The McLaren overheats quite readily in hot weather (Road and Track overheated one twice in a day when it borrowed one).
True enough, everything IS a compromise, but that's a basic fact of life. I'm just saying in regards to performance on a paved surface, the McLaren didn't have many. The 1940's Volkswagen design has PLENTY, that being my point.

I've seen bugs flip over from apparently nothing during a drag race, they are not stable. Anyone see the PINKS episode? I've seen it a few times in person at Sacramento Raceway, just the littlest gust and those things go for a ride. Straight line speed in a controlled invironment is one thing, real world high speed driving is another. A Ghia is probably a better option for high speed, but like the quote above, to do it properly would take essentially a complete redesign.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S