View Single Post
Old November 21st 2007, 14:54

One thing to consider IMO is how much the added spoiler/wing will affect the amount of air going into the slotted area under the rear window. For example the wing in the pic posted by Chris Percival will reduce the amount of air going into the engine bay... and this is the cooling air for your engine.

I seriously believe that a combination of a roof lip and wing of suitable size and position will provide the best results while keeping airflow into the engine bay at a respectable volume. On the other hand you could use a wing like Chris Percival and find another way of allowing air into your engine bay. one way to do it is from the underside if you want to keep the original look of your bug. this though dictates the use of some kind of belly pan.

Ive been thinking about this for my 1303 for a while now trying to find mounting positions and different mounting mediums to avoid drilling the pan halves. if you start going this way it would be worth it to try NOT to make the belly pan flat. in addition you can prepare it for some sort of diffuser at a later stage.

Another thing to consider is the air spilage aroung the back surface of the fenders. only if you are looking to sqeeze everything out of aerodynamics aids. Unfortunately the rounded shape of uor fenders if pure eye candy, but they kind of suck in aerodynamic respect. I would be wise to open holes on the back of the fenders to allow escape routes for the air coming in from under the car. Air is NOT coming into the fender well area through the wheel. also place some kind of winglets not to allow the air coming from the top to merge with the air coming from the side. I need to investigate further on this to justify, but its an idea...
Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL

Last edited by beetle1303; November 21st 2007 at 15:05.