View Single Post
Old October 13th 2008, 11:24

Electric Stand offs-IDEA?

Hey, this is not my idea but I really like it, and would like to try it once my bug is all together. My bug could really benefit from decklid stand-offs since the intercooler is horizontal above the engine (subaru turbo). BUT I like the smooth look of having the decklid follow the body lines. So, I'm just brainstorming here, but how about find a servo and gears from something off a newer car and rig the decklid to lift up and come down on command. You would have to cut the lip off the decklid, and you could make a lip off the body (there might be a concern to keep rain out) shaped like (green is decklid with lip cut off and black is body):

To get really neat I would have a on/off switch, but also have it controlled by say having the e-brake on closes it. For a nice controlled movement you could have limit switches so the servo with move it out at a nice set speed and automatically shut-off and change directions when it hits the closed or open limit switch.

I think one issue would be keeping it strong and stable when you open the decklid, haven't thought this out yet.

I just had this brainwave and got excited so I thought I would write it all down here for others to ponder, so if it sounds like some rambling, well, thats cus it is. DISCUSS.

Last edited by Eatoniashoprat; October 13th 2008 at 11:34.