View Single Post
Old May 6th 2010, 04:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatoniashoprat View Post
Sorry, I missed a few things. I have a 3 point brace Kafer brace (v-dub engineering), gas-adjusts, and urethane TB bushings.

The main thing that really bothered me was seeing the trans nose cone moving up and down so easily <- the face I made
With the Scooby engine you are adding a significant extra weight on the end of a cantilever (the horns). Also, the power generated by a EJ20 T will put a considerable torsion load into those stressed horns as well. With the relatively solid mid mount I suspect its all rotating around that especially if you have a soft front mount. My first suggestion would be to use a stiffer front mount and dispense with the midmount it can then only rotate around that front mount. Solid mounting the rear mount I am told does not necessarily increase NVH but I would only treat that as a desparate solution.
Because of the weight of the whole drivetrain the rear end ought to be stiffened and a 5 bar cup brace should be used. The 5 bar unit creates a triangulated structure that provides a very stiff unit whereas the 3 bar just tries to hang the horns off the forged arm that the top damper mount hangs on - it wasn't designed for the forces involved and is a structurally unsound principle. As you have a Scooby then heat exchangers are not a problem so a 5 bar unit will fit - right?
Spannerman has got a point about the ZF lsd especially in the traction/no traction circumstances of late season snow/slush driving

Good to see you out of hibernation!

Clive