View Single Post
Old September 3rd 2010, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

I tried to chase down some Talbot callipers a few years ago but had no luck.

You could always fit a spacer inside the calliper where it splits to make it fit a thicker rotor. I've been told Porsche did this on some of their callipers.

Steve
Its a standard conversion to vented discs (I did this with the Range Rover Classic I have). Its simple engineering but only for those with the appropriate kit. The spacer has to be the correct thickness and parallel faced. There will be O ring seals between the sections and the recesses will have to be correctly sized to get the correct pinch on the seal especially as you could have up to 2000psi in the circuit! Most of the original seals between the halfs are square sided that are not readily available so normal round section seals are used. There is no gasket between all the sections as this would upset the rigidity of the unit.

I wasn't sure if the Talbot calipers were in two halfs or whether they were a single forging that would preclude a spacer.

If you are going down the route of a spacer then the mounting position of the caliper will still have to be checked and it would be a great opportunity to get some stainless steel pistons made for long term durability.

Clive