View Single Post
Old February 11th 2013, 06:35

some may know i race my b/j car in a busy uk saloon car class, all serious race series have regulations governing suspension and its attachment, or what is known in racing as 'the pickup points', in many series these have to be retained. for my purposes, i chose steel a arms over the ally versions for many reasons, one being it gives me more scope to modify the setup and brace the arms against flexing with applied side loads. the arms are flipped l to r to improve the foot print and tyre life, with the lower shock mount removed and a new mount fabricated onto the top of the arm and fabricated in such a way as to brace the arm against flexing in the turns, just tightening the shock bolts helps brace the arm, an added gusset completes the job, the upper mounts are moved inboard and tied into the roll cage, pic shows them halfway through the conversion, ive clearanced enough to allow for coil overs should i desire them, tho my mantra with this car is to keep as near 'factory' as possible, and very well its going too, the setup in the photo above for instance, would be damaged if not torn off where i race, either on the track side kerbing, which we use hard, or from wheel to wheel contact just aiming you into a mashals post, its common enough, adjust-ability is all very well, but you better be good at your job, or mine will spank you while you play around and get lost in your little set up book of rules, the factory eqipment is damn good to start with, if you cant go quick with it, you wont go quick with more complex setup needs, just my views any way, i will post some pics when i can sort out new photo bucket. best regards Johnny.