View Single Post
Old April 30th 2011, 13:08

Part 2

Fitted the car's old engine case and basic tinware to gauge the gearbox position since with the body back down it looked a bit wrong:

Measuring the other bug I have I get 30mm to the front of the return of the rear tinware off the firewall, here I got 55mm so I got underneath to investigate. 49Rag whom I purchased the box off had it fitted to his car on the rear cradle that you see here, therefore I used this since if it fit his it would fit mine right!!!

Looks like the bellhousing is 23.25" from the torsion tube and possibly 10-12mm further back [towards engine], the body is sitting 5mm out of position. Looking at the box position there is only 5mm between the gearbox and torsion tube so can't go back any further.

Any comments on this appreciated, but since I'm going to run a T4 and make the tinware I can obviously make it all fit in there, just won't be stock.

I will ponder this a bit and see what others have done, but looks like I'll be making some custom tinware if I ever fit a Type 1 back in there.....