View Single Post
Old May 1st 2011, 14:36

So I sneaked into the garage and had another car day - one outside the allowed limit

I just pottered and decided to fit up my T4 mock up engine and some other bits:

In the pictures you can see a stock T2 rear engine bar and my old JMR turbo muffler - ran this on my first bug back in 2002 and saved it since it has a great low sound. It goes without saying that the pipework will need changing!

So I plan to run a polo front muffler under the O/S and the turbo under the N/S with a connecting pipe under the gearbox which will be set back from the flywheel oil seal location. I'll make an aluminium splash shield so that if I get an oil leak it won't end up on the hot exhaust!

Additionally, I figured out that I can mount a clutch slave cylinder along side the 901 box and use a steel rod to connect to the clutch lever, probably with a rod end for connection. This should give me a nice adjustment free reliable clutch connection.

The T2 bar will have late 1600cc bay window mounts used at the ends with a fabricated bracket to the bumper mounts and I'll probably use another 2 of these to remake my gearbox cradle - still not 100% happy with that design.

So happy that now I can begin the 'exciting' part which is laying out how the mechanical parts will fit - I will do this with the body and chassis as it is on my trolley then I'll pull out the chassis at a later date to repair the rusty areas since these are really small !

I want to make up all the mount bracketry for the engine bar and the exhaust before I finish the cosmetics of the body.