View Single Post
Old January 16th 2010, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchnride247 View Post
That's not alot of parts...she will understand.
Well I actually also bought all the other panels needed to carry out the metalwork repairs!

Also made a start on the welding. Not being done by me, I've entrusted the work to Gavin Jones at Trailer Queen Restos as not only is Gav one of the best VW painters in the scene he's also fantastically gifted when it comes to metal and bodywork. Here's what's been done so far, not much but it's a start:

First job is to replace both pan halves and channels so with the nearside channel already cut out Gav decided to start on that side first. Before actually starting on the pan he decided to replace the cross member. Factory spot welds drilled out to remove the corroded lower inner quarter metal:

And inner rear cleaned up to see how bad it was. Not too bad really considering the extent of corrosion elsewhere:

Factory spot welds exposed along the top of the old cross member ready to drill out and remove the metal:

New cross member bolted and welded into place. As you can see, being a new type panel it doesn't match the shape of the original but with so many modifications being done on the car I wasn't worried about not having the correct shape cross members!

Small closing panel Gav fabbed up in order to reconnect the inner lower quarter to the cross member:

With the repro heater channel's being made for a later Bug Gav modified both the heater outlet and the inner skin in order for it to look like a 60's item:

And that's as far as she's got.....but will update as soon as some more is done.

Last edited by F-22A; January 18th 2010 at 14:17.