View Single Post
Old February 23rd 2008, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetibone View Post
The 914 CV flanges are the same size as a Beetle's, except the 914 flanges had 4 bolt holes, and two dowel holes. On my car I used the 914 flanges with the dowel holes drilled through, and threaded inserts screwed into the holes..
I'll drill them out and thread them too.

Quote:
The power necessary to trash a 930 CV joint would certainly break the 914/901's intermediate plate instantly, so those CVs' aren't really needed..
Can the intermediate plate be upgraded? Whatelse in the tranny would need to be upgraded to handle say 250-300HP?

Quote:
If you use stock IRS Beetle trailing arms, with the stock stub-axles, then you should use the stock IRS Beetle axles, and their CVs'.
Since I'm bug is slammed I'm a little worried about the angle the stock beetle CV's would be at. I heard they fail after 17 degrees of angle.

Quote:
If you use Porsche stub axles in the Beetle, or early 944 steel trailing arms, you should use the stock Beetle CVs' on the inside, and early 944 CVs' on the outside of stock IRS Beetle axles.

If you use Porsche alloy trailing arms (wide or narrow), use the late 944S (after '86) *NON TURBO* axles with Beetle CVs' on the inside, and non-turbo 944 CVs' on the outside..
I have stock beetle trailing arms right now. I'm going to do the swap sometime in late March and drive it until winter. From there I'm going to tear it down for paint, body work and a turbo'd 1700cc typeIV motor. So I want to make sure I'm not doing something twice.

Last edited by slc62ragtop; February 23rd 2008 at 21:49.