View Single Post
Old February 5th 2006, 21:58

Red face

I'm not sure of all the spec's.. But here’s what I think I know. The DOHC engines will produce higher rev's a little quicker, plus if installing a turbo DOHC engine little needs to be done to the engine as it already has a turbo ready block. But your need to clearance the engine bay to get the engine to fit.

If space clearances are not an issue the DOHC will work and perform fine with plenty of power and easily upgraded. A DHOC engine measures just about 32" wide.

If space is an issue and you don't want to cut the inter-fender wells etc then the SOHC engines are an almost perfect fit with little or no clearance issues. The 2.5 with SOHC heads will measure just about 29" wide. The 2.2 SOHC engines will measure around 27" wide with plenty of clearance on both sides of the engine when installed. All Suby SOHC engines are respectfully about the same height with the DOHC engines being the highest, but other then the oil pan the height is not the issues with the Suby engines.

Weight. heaviest is the DOHC, then the 2.5 SOHC, with the 2.2 SOHC being the lightest of the Sube's

The 2.5 SOHC engines will produce more torque with almost square numbers between HP & Torque. Little if any head work is needed as the SOHC heads flow very well when used with a Turbo. If you use a STI block with the SOHC heads 300-400 HP is easily obtainable depending on moderate boost levels on your choice of Turbo's, but then again in an already light Bug how much HP does one really need. If you use the stock 2.5 SOHC block and decide that you want to run a Turbo your need to run race fuel or your going to destroy your engine, so if fuel is an issue it might be best to go with the STi block form the get go?

Perhaps some of the Sube-perts can elaborate and better answer your question?

Good luck