View Single Post
Old November 19th 2009, 17:18

I've gone through a good number of tires, usually at least 2 sets per car per year. I blame the I-can't-help-but-drive-fast mountain roads. I see mostly sunny weather here, a month or 2 of constant rain in the winter and sometimes up to 4-6 inches of snow, yeah even in California 9 miles from the ocean. So here's what I've burned through:

Yokohama S.drive
pretty grippy in dry and wet, not really affected by cold weather >45F. Great street tire and lasts very long with hard driving, but on the track it leaves you wanting more, a little pricey though, great for street though

Yokohama A032R/A048R
grooved R compound tire for street/track use. sticky like duct tape on duct tape, wears like butter on a hot skillet but you'll never be able to get that stupid grin off your face. Do not expose to cold temps below 40F, tires will harden and lose life, they are like plastic at those temps anyway. great for track and you can drive home on it (I do to scrub rubber off) not so good for the street

Kumho Ecsta MX/XS
more grip than the S.drive and they get stickier when they heat up. pretty long life on the bug so far 10k+ and maybe 50% to go. Good in the wet too but in the cold >40F they just slide. good track/street tire

Hankook RS2/RS3
a lot like the kumhos but they stick more and wear a lot faster. got about 8k miles (stretching it) a set. these tires were fantastic in the wet and reacted like there was no water at all, good track/street tire

Continental Contisport Contact 3
like the hankooks but cost twice as much, however they are not as good in the wet, good track/street tire

BF Goodridge gforce t/a kd
very sticky tire more than the hankook, not so good in the wet, useless in the cold, expensive and asymetrical so you can't rotate staggered wheels at all, but a great track tire that will survive on the street

Bridgestone potensa re050a pole position
expensive, better than the hankook and last as long as the kumho's, good tire and you get what you pay for. not very good in freezing temps good track/street tire

Bridgestone potensa re-11
very sticky tire, great in the wet, great on the track but wears fast like the continentals. not good in the cold

As a general rule I stay away from firestone, fusion, and sumitomo because they don't make any sticky tires.