View Single Post
Old April 4th 2006, 17:12

Some kind of tar on floor pan/chassis...

Ok, So here I am with my dilema. The chassis and floor pan is coated in some kind of tar or something(*might* be stonechip, but I kinda doubt it, as it does not have that 'grain-y' finish). You might think that I should leave it like that, as it is properly 'sealed' the chassis against rust. Problem being that I managed to remove SOME of it, and found that there are little rust spots. So I dont believe the coating was a good idea.

Now, here is my REAL problem... It is a real PITA to try and get off. I tried using one of those wire wheels on a grinded, but instead of 'cipping' it off, it just kinda melts it and smears it along. I have tried paint remover, but it only seems to 'attack' the very top of the coating, the rest seems to be untouched. So I am not convinced that paint stripper is going to remove it all. My next resort was a heat gun and a scraper. This did help a little, but it is going to take AGES to get most of it off.
I now know why my employer didnt want to get back to me with a price on how much it will be to sandblast at my work. He knew that this pan had that stuff on it(I bought it from him). And today he mentioned something that sandlbasting will not move the stuff without something being done first(removing MOST of that crap).

So to the people out there that have had similar products on their chassis, what have you done to remove it? I would appreciate any/all help...... Go on! Let me learn from your mistakes