View Single Post
Old February 9th 2016, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval View Post
Do you mean body/shell or suspension?
Despite rumours to the contrary, Beetles (especially later ones) have impressively stiff bodies; it's even better with stich-welding of all seams and/or a six-point cage tagged to the A and B pillars and the rear wheelhouses inboard of the rear damper towers.
The suspension benefits from 26mm or larger torsion bars in the rear... the reduction in squat will help keep the inside front wheel on the ground
So you're saying stiffening up the pan would not improve handling? Weekend track days don't require a full cage and keeping the center of gravity low has its benefits.

My car was very neutral. I had a half roll cage (4 point), rear sway bar, and stiffened up the rear frame horn section in my 1303 (below in blue), but I still wish I had tied the suspension and made the car a bit stiffer front to rear (strut towers to rear torsion housing). I sold the car a couple of years ago.

These are 40+ year old cars and do flex when you push them hard. I suggested that before Craig replied back he was adding strut braces, etc. Up to you it's just a lot harder to work on the pan after it's painted, seats, carpeting, etc.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451436