View Single Post
Old April 3rd 2007, 22:39

Long weekend and nice weather bring updates!

Spent a few days working on the bug, trying in vain to make a race at the end of April. Got my intercooler radiator mounted and intercooler water lines run through the tunnel (that took a day by itself :P) Finished the exhaust so all it needs is a support at the muffler exit so the whole thing isn't hanging from the turbo. Spent another day cutting the existing metal dash out of the bug, and putting the new aluminum dash panel together. After getting the gauges in place I started the gauge wiring which will have it's own loom to the back of the car. I've always liked the idea of center mounted tach/speedo in the dash. The idea here is to make them easily readable at a glance and high visibility for the roll cage mounted camera. I was hoping to have my brake system bled but the pads that showed up were for the wrong car. I ordered the EBC yellow brake pads for an 89 turbo 944 from thepartsbin.com but non-turbo pads showed up (1/2" difference in width). When looking up the correct part#'s I discovered that I need pads for a porsche 930 turbo (same size all around) whereas the late model 944 turbo had larger front pads. (oops) So I ordered the correct parts in hawk pads this time, and I'm still waiting for an RMA# for $250 in brake pads I can't use. The joys of frankenstein cars....

Now for the pics!

2 pass intercooler radiator from a Ford Lightning in front, Koyo rx7 turbo radiator behind it

same thing from the top, not much room in there...

Finished exhaust from the side, 36" or so turbo back 3" diameter. I'll probably cut some sheet aluminum to make a small heat shield for the fender and protect it from flames/fire of the exhaust.

And finally the new dash panel, all the gauges are electric due to engine location. The gauges are oil press, oil temp, water temp, boost, and fuel level, with speedo and tach in the middle. The speedo is a gamble, I'm going to try and use the signal from a vr sensor on the front hub that used to be for abs. I have to check with autometer to see if this is a viable solution otherwise I need to find a different sensor and mount it elsewhere. The notches cut into the dash panel are for the stock grab handle, I think the passenger will need it.