View Single Post
Old July 3rd 2014, 15:23

My attempt at building GL beetle

Ok so I am getting geared up again to get started on the car again.I thought I would post up some pics to get some help and advice on what should ideally happen for the engine gearbox install.I currently have the torsion tube in place but his is going to need cutting to fit the long nose g50.I am thinking about building a cradle/frame over the long nose end like Steve C's build on here with possibly a box type frame tying into the cage at the front of the frame horns and then adding a rear engine cradle mount for the Subaru engine mounts like Ricola's (blatantly copying there designs but there cleverer then me ).I want to tie the whole lot to the cage so any suggestions on designs would be apreciated.Also I am thinking about using a bell housing strap ? like Wallys copy copy, again sorry fellas but I like all the mods that you've done on your cars and I think a combination of your designs would be a great way to install the engine and gearbox.Another thought is a brace under the torsion tube to strengthen it all up ? Also I have a rear anti roll bar fitted,would this be in the way or would the gearbox over sail this ?

[IMG]~original[/IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG][IMG]~original[/IMG]

What do ya reckon fellas any additional input advice or suggestions are really welcome ? Once again sorry for the copy cat approach here but I think this seems the best way as these are kind of tried and tested methods.
I will be fitting the better racers edge lower shock bolts than those in the pics.

If anyone is reading this who've I have mentioned above would you have done anything different ? I will have to have this work done professionally as I don't have the skills myself so I want to get it right.Once again thanks for all the inspirational builds that exist on this site they do keep me keen and motivated.Not sure if anyone is reading this but if you are thanks in advance Graham.