View Single Post
Old October 29th 2004, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K.
The gauges are installed and looking sweet. There is a problem with the LED used for the alternator idiot light. When wired throught the LED, the alternator doesn't turn on. I'm using a stock incandescent bulb for now and will try wiring them in parrallel today. Maybe the LED needs an extra resistor in line for the regulator to fire up the field. Any insight on what the the internally regulated Bosch 75 amp alternator needs to excite the field?
The problem was that when the D+ terminal of the alternator is wired in series with the LED to +12V ignition, not enough current was supplied to the alternator to initiate the field (LED limited current). Wiring the LED in parallel with the alternator D+ wire fixed the problem.

Now if I can only get the SPA digital CHT gauge to read stable with the engine running, I'd be wired. I've narrowed it down to the thermocouple extension wire. I'll try rerouting the extension wire down the other side of the car and shortening it as much as possible. I'm also going to use capacitors to knock down some of the noise on the line.

Sandeep has got me intrigued about data aquisition. I've done some at work using National Instruments LabView and would like to try it in the car. The combo I'm thinking about is: laptop, Pico ADC-16, thermistors, hall effect speedo adapter, and some frequency to voltage converters for rpm/tach. The R&D on this car is almost done, so I'm looking for more brain candy...:idea: